The Complexity of Minor-Ancestral Graph Properties with Forbidden Pairs
Robertson and Seymour (in work starting with ) demonstrated that any minor-ancestral graph property can be decided in polynomial time. Lewis and Yannakakis  showed that for any nontrivial node-hereditary graph property, the problem of given a graph, finding the size of the largest induced subgraph of the graph that has the property, is NP-hard. In this paper, we completely characterize those minor-ancestral properties for which the problem of deciding if a given graph contains a subgraph with the property that respects a given set of forbidden vertex pairs (i.e., if one vertex from a pair is in the subgraph then the other isn’t) is in P and for which such properties the problem is NP-complete. In particular, we show that if a given minor-ancestral property can be characterized by the containment of one of a finite set of graphs as a subgraph, the corresponding decision problem with forbidden vertex pairs is in P, otherwise its NP-complete. Unfortunately, we further show that the problem of deciding if a minor-ancestral property (presented as a set of characteristic minors) can be so characterized is NP-hard. Finally we observe that a similar characterization holds for the case of finding subgraphs satisfying a set of forbidden edge pairs and that our problems are all fixed parameter tractable.
KeywordsPolynomial Time Hamiltonian Path Graph Property Internal Edge Satisfying Assignment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alon, N., Shapira, A., Sudakov, B.: Additive approximation for edge-deletion problems. In: Proceedings of the 46th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, FOCS 2005, pp. 419–428. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Bondy, J.A.: Graph Theory With Applications. Elsevier Science Ltd. (1976)Google Scholar
- 4.Brady, A., Maxwell, K., Daniels, N., Cowen, L.J.: Fault tolerance in protein interaction networks: Stable bipartite subgraphs and redundant pathways. PLoS One 4(4), e5364 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Childs, A.M., Kothari, R.: Quantum query complexity of minor-closed graph properties. In: Proc. 28th Symposium on Theoretical Aspects of Computer Science (STACS 2011). Leibniz International Proceedings in Informatics, vol. 9, pp. 661–672 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Downey, R.G., Fellows, M.R.: Parameterized Complexity. Springer (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Krause, K.W., Goodwin, M.A., Smith, R.W.: Optimal software test planning through automated network analysis. TRW Systems Group, Redondo Beach (1973)Google Scholar