Towards Systematic Usability Evaluations for the OR: An Introduction to OR-Use Framework
It has been shown that usability of intra-operative computer-based systems has a direct impact on patient outcome and patient safety. There are several tools to facilitate the usability testing in other domains, however, there is no such tool for the operating room. In this work, after investigating the features of the existing tools in other domains and observing the practical requirements specific to the OR, we summarize key functionalities that should be provided in a usability testing support tool for intra-operative devices. Furthermore, we introduce the OR-Use framework, a tool developed for supporting usability evaluation for the OR and designed to fulfill the introduced requirements. Finally, we report about several performed tests to evaluate the performance of the proposed framework. We also report about the usability tests which have been conducted up until now using this tool.
KeywordsOperating Room Usability Data Usability Evaluation Usability Study Usability Testing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.AttrakDiff, http://www.attrakdiff.de/en/Home/
- 3.Au, F.T.W., Baker, S., Warren, I., Dobbie, G.: Automated usability testing framework. In: Ninth Australasian User Interface Conference, vol. 76, pp. 55–64. ACS, Wollongong (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Holm, R., Priglinger, M., Stauder, E., Volkert, J., Wagner, R.: Automatic data acquisition and visualization for usability evaluation of virtual reality systems. In: EUROGRAPHICS 2002. The Eurographics Association (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Neumuth, T., Durstewitz, N., Fischer, M., Strauss, G., Dietz, A., Meixensberger, J., Jannin, P., Cleary, K., Lemke, H.U., Burgert, O.: Structured recording of intraoperative surgical workflows. In: Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE) Conference Series, vol. 6145, pp. 54–65 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Wachter, R.M.: The End of the Beginning: Patient Safety Five Years After ’To Err Is Human’. Health Affairs (2004)Google Scholar