Preference-Based Planning via MaxSAT
In this paper, we explore the application of partial weighted MaxSAT techniques for preference-based planning (PBP). To this end, we develop a compact partial weighted MaxSAT encoding for PBP based on the popular SAS + planning formalism. Our encoding extends a SAS + based encoding for SAT-based planning, SASE, to allow for the specification of simple preferences. To the best of our knowledge, the SAS + formalism has never been exploited in the context of PBP. Our MaxSAT-based PBP planner, MSPlan, significantly outperformed the state-of-the-art STRIPS-based MaxSAT approach for PBP with respect to running time, solving more problems in a few cases. Interestingly, when compared to three state-of-the-art heuristic search planners for PBP, MSPlan consistently generated plans with comparable quality, slightly outperforming at least one of these three planners in almost every case. Our results illustrate the effectiveness of our SASE based encoding and suggests that MaxSAT-based PBP is a promising area of research.
KeywordsProblem Instance Classical Planning Soft Goal Simple Preference Soft Clause
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Baier, J.A., McIlraith, S.A.: Planning with preferences. AI Magazine 29(4), 25–36 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Berre, D.L., Parrain, A.: The SAT4J library, release 2.2. Journal on Satisfiability, Boolean Modeling and Computation 7, 59–64 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Coles, A.J., Coles, A.: LPRPG-P: Relaxed plan heuristics for planning with preferences. In: ICAPS (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Giunchiglia, E., Maratea, M.: A pseudo-boolean approach for solving planning problems with IPC simple preferences. In: COPLAS, pp. 23–31 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Hsu, C.-W., Wah, B., Huang, R., Chen, Y.: Constraint partitioning for solving planning problems with trajectory constraints and goal preferences. In: IJCAI, pp. 1924–1929 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Huang, R., Chen, Y., Zhang, W.: A novel transition based encoding scheme for planning as satisfiability. In: AAAI, Atlanta, GA, pp. 89–94 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Knecht, M.: Efficient Domain-Independent Planning using Declarative Programming. Master’s thesis, University of Potsdam (December 2009)Google Scholar
- 14.Maratea, M.: An experimental evaluation of Max-SAT and PB solvers on over-subscription planning problems. In: RCRA, vol. 616 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Marques-Silva, J.: The MSUncore MaxSAT solver (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Robinson, N., Gretton, C., Pham, D.N., Sattar, A.: Partial weighted MaxSAT for optimal planning. In: PRICAI, Daegu, Korea, pp. 231–243 (2010)Google Scholar