Who Is Stronger in Your Agile Deployment – The Id or the Superego?
Many studies and industrial reports have demonstrated the tendency towards the increasing number of organizations, interested in agile software development. With the transition from intentions to actions, the question that naturally arises is how the deployment process should be approached. In this paper we argue that shared organizational values, which we call organizational Superego, should be the main drivers for the deployment and post-deployment assessment of agile methods and techniques. Along with that we propose a new organizational classification technique, which assesses the power of the Superego to shape organizational behavior, together with an organizational value framework to be used for strengthening it. We further discuss how a strong Superego would approach the deployment of agile methods and techniques, and outline a future agile deployment framework, based on organizational values.
KeywordsAgile Adoption Deployment and Post-Deployment Assessment of Agile Methods and Techniques Organizational Values Organizational Culture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Agile adoption trends, http://www.rallydev.com/learn_agile/agile_for_executives/
- 2.State of agile development survey http://www.versionone.com/state_of_agile_development_survey/10
- 7.Pikkarainen, M., Salo, O., Kuusela, R., Abrahamsson, P.: Strengths and barriers behind the successful agile deployment—insights from the three software intensive companies in Finland. Empi. Software Eng., 1–28 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Esfahani, H.C., Yu, E., Annosi, M.C.: Strategically balanced process adoption. In: International Conference on Software and Systems Process, Hawaii, pp. 169–178 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Freud, S.: The Ego and the Id. The Hogarth Press Ltd., London (1949)Google Scholar
- 13.The Aspen Institute: Deriving Value from Corporate Values (2005) Google Scholar
- 14.Kotter, J.P., Heskett, J.L.: Corporate culture and performance. Free Press (1992) Google Scholar