Unsupervised Ensemble Learning for Mining Top-n Outliers
Outlier detection is an important and attractive problem in knowledge discovery in large datasets. Instead of detecting an object as an outlier, we study detecting the n most outstanding outliers, i.e. the top-n outlier detection. Further, we consider the problem of combining the top-n outlier lists from various individual detection methods. A general framework of ensemble learning in the top-n outlier detection is proposed based on the rank aggregation techniques. A score-based aggregation approach with the normalization method of outlier scores and an order-based aggregation approach based on the distance-based Mallows model are proposed to accommodate various scales and characteristics of outlier scores from different detection methods. Extensive experiments on several real datasets demonstrate that the proposed approaches always deliver a stable and effective performance independent of different datasets in a good scalability in comparison with the state-of-the-art literature.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Barnett, V., Lewis, T.: Outliers in Statistic Data. John Wiley, New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Breunig, M.M., Kriegel, H.-P., Ng, R.T., Sander, J.: Lof: Identifying density-based local outliers. In: SIGMOD, pp. 93–104 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Papadimitriou, S., Kitagawa, H., Gibbons, P.: Loci: Fast outlier detection using the local correlation integral. In: ICDE, pp. 315–326 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Yang, J., Zhong, N., Yao, Y., Wang, J.: Local peculiarity factor and its application in outlier detection. In: KDD, pp. 776–784 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Abe, N., Zadrozny, B., Langford, J.: Outlier detection by active learning. In: KDD, pp. 504–509 (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Fox, E., Shaw, J.: Combination of multiple searches. In: The Second Text REtrieval Conference (TREC-2), pp. 243–252 (1994)Google Scholar
- 13.Lazarevic, A., Kumar, V.: Feature bagging for outlier detection. In: KDD, pp. 157–166 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Gao, J., Tan, P.N.: Converting output scores from outlier detection algorithms into probability estimates. In: ICDM, pp. 212–221 (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Nguyen, H., Ang, H., Gopalkrishnan, V.: Mining outliers with ensemble of heterogeneous detectors on random subspaces. Journal of DASFAA 1, 368–383 (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Lebanon, G., Lafferty, J.: Cranking: Combining rankings using conditional probability models on permutations. In: ICML, pp. 363–370 (2002)Google Scholar
- 18.Klementiev, A., Roth, D., Small, K.: Unsupervised rank aggregation with distance-based models. In: ICML, pp. 472–479 (2008)Google Scholar