Aliasing Properties of Voxels in Three-Dimensional Sampling Lattices
It is well-known that band limited functions can be represented more efficiently on the body centered cubic (bcc) and face centered cubic (fcc) lattices than on the standard cartesian (cubic) lattice. We examine sampling properties of these lattices for non band-limited functions and see that, with respect to preserving the energy of the sampled function, the bcc and fcc lattices perform better than the cubic lattice for a given sampling density, indicating that sampling on these lattices will produce less aliasing errors. We study the aliasing errors within a cross section of a three dimensional, rotational invariant pattern through the origin and how these errors depend on the normal of the cross section. The results are in line with the theory, showing that the bcc and fcc lattices have superior sampling qualities with respect to aliasing errors.
KeywordsSampling Density Voronoi Region Reconstructed Function Band Limited Function Aliasing Error
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dagenais, E., Möller, T., Bergner, S.: vuVolume (March 2011), http://sourceforge.net/projects/vuvolume/
- 2.Dornhofer, A.: A discrete fourier transform pair for arbitrary sampling geometries with applications to frequency domain volume rendering on the body-centered cubic lattice, diploma thesis (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Engel, K., Hadwiger, M., Kniss, J., Rezk-Salama, C., Weiskopf, D.: Real-Time Volume Graphics. A K Peters, Ltd. (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Entezari, A.: Towards computing on non-cartesian lattices, report (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Glassner, A. (ed.): An Introduction to Ray Tracing. Academic Press Inc. (1989)Google Scholar
- 11.Strand, R.: Sampling and aliasing properties of three-dimensional point-lattices. In: Swedish Symposium on Image Analysis, Uppsala, Sweden, pp. 23–26 (2010), http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:uu:diva-144097
- 12.Theussl, T., Möller, T., Gröller, E.: Optimal regular volume sampling. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Visualization 2001, San Diego, California. Washington, DC, USA, pp. 91–98 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Xu, F., Mueller, K.: Applications of optimal sampling lattices for volume acquisition via 3D computed tomography. In: Volume Graphics Symposium, Prague, Czech Republic, pp. 57–63 (2007)Google Scholar