Variable Neighborhood Search for Robust Optimization and Applications to Aerodynamics
Many real-life applications lead to the definition of robust optimization problems where the objective function is a black box. This may be due, for example, to the fact that the objective function is evaluated through computer simulations, and that some parameters are uncertain. When this is the case, existing algorithms for optimization are not able to provide good-quality solutions in general. We propose a heuristic algorithm for solving black box robust optimization problems, which is based on a bilevel Variable Neighborhood Search to solve the minimax formulation of the problem. We also apply this algorithm for the solution of a wing shape optimization where the objective function is a computationally expensive black box. Preliminary computational experiments are reported.
KeywordsRobust Optimization Variable Neighborhood Variable Neighborhood Search Uncertain Variable Bilevel Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.van Damme, E.: Stability and Perfection of Nash Equilibria, 2nd edn. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Duvigneau, R.: Aerodynamic shape optimization with uncertain operating conditions using metamodels. Tech. Rep. INRIA/RR–6143–FR+ENG, INRIA (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Herrmann, J.: A genetic algorithm for minimax optimization problems. In: IEEE Conference Proceedings Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC 1999), Washington, DC, USA, pp. 1–5 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Huyse, L., Lewis, R.: Aerodynamic shape optimization of twodimensional airfoils under uncertain operating conditions. Tech. Rep. 2001-1, NASA Langley Research Center Hampton, VA, USA (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Liberti, L., Lavor, C., Maculan, N.: Double VNS for the molecular distance geometry problem. In: Proceedings of the Mini Euro Conference on Variable Neighbourhood Search, Tenerife, Spain (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Mucherino, A., Urtubia, A.: Consistent biclustering and applications to agriculture. In: Proceedings of the Industrial Conference on Data Mining (ICDM 2010), IbaI Conference Proceedings Workshop on Data Mining and Agriculture (DMA 2010), pp. 105–113. Springer, Berlin (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.Rogalsky, T., Derksen, R.W., Kocabiyik, S.: Differential evolution in aerodynamic optimization. In: Proceedings of the 46th Annual Conference of the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute, pp. 29–36. Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute (1999)Google Scholar
- 16.Vicini, A., Quagliarella, D.: Airfoil and wing design through hybrid optimization strategies. American Institute of Aerodynamics and Astronautics 37(5) (1999)Google Scholar