Fibrous Piezoelectric Composites
In the previous two chapters we presented some fundamental ideas about piezoelectric composites and their mathematical treatment, including the linear theory of piezoelectricity and the corresponding solution techniques. We now try to generalize these ideas to a range of fibrous composite problems such as piezoelectric fiber push-out and pull-out, stress and electric field transfer between fiber and matrix, debonding criteria for the fiber push-out test, effective material properties of composites, and solutions of piezoelectric composites with an elliptic fiber. All these topics are analyzed within the framework of linear theory of piezoelectric materials.
KeywordsEnergy Release Rate Interfacial Shear Stress Piezoelectric Composite Debonded Region Total Energy Release Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Smart Material Corp. http://www.smart-material.com/.
- Hagood N, Bent A: Composites for structural control. US Patent, 6048622 (2000).Google Scholar
- Cannon BJ, Brei D: Feasibility study of microfabrication by coextrusion (MFCX) hollow fibers for active composites. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures 11(9), 659–670 (2000).Google Scholar
- Wang JS, Qin QH: Debonding criterion for the piezoelectric fibre push-out test. Philosophical Magazine Letters 86(2), 1 3-136 (2006).Google Scholar
- Wang JS, Qin QH, Kang YL: Stress and electric field transfer of piezoelectric fibre push-out under electric and mechanical loading. In: Ren WX, Gary Ong KC, Tan JSY (eds.) 9th International Conference on Inspection, Appraisal, Repairs & Maintenance of Structures, Fuzhou, China, 20–21 October, 2005, pp. 435–442. CI-Premier PTY LTD (2005).Google Scholar
- Qin QH: Fracture Mechanics of Piezoelectric Materials. WIT Press, Southampton (2001).Google Scholar
-  Zhang X, Liu HY, Mai YW, Diao XX: On steady-state fibre pull-out. I. The stress field. Composites Science and Technology 59(15), 2179–2189 (1999).Google Scholar
- Tiersten HF: Linear Piezoelectric Plate Vibrations. Plenum Press, New York (1969).Google Scholar
- Zhou LM: A study on the fracture mechanics of interfaces in fibre-matrix composites. PhD Thesis, University of Sydney (1994).Google Scholar