Dexter Kozen’s Influence on the Theory of Labelled Markov Processes
In the Fall of 1985 Dexter and I both started at Cornell as new faculty members in the celebrated Computer Science Department, home to luminaries such as Juris Hartmanis, John Hopcroft, David Gries and Robert Constable. I was a very new assistant professor but Dexter was already an acknowledged star with celebrated contributions to several areas: algebra and complexity, decision procedures for real-closed fields , dynamic logic [2-4] and many other areas across both tracks of theoretical computer science. I had no doctorate in computer science, hardly any publications and no clearly defined research area. Early in the term Dexter summoned me to his office and grilled me about work I was doing on nondeterministic dataflow. After that meeting I needed several glasses of beer to recover but a lasting friendship was sealed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Harel, D., Kozen, D., Tiuryn, J.: Propositional Dynamic Logic. MIT Press (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Johnstone, P.: Stone Spaces. Cambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics, vol. 3. Cambridge University Press (1982)Google Scholar
- 8.Dijkstra, E.W.: A Discipline of Programming. Prentice-Hall (1976)Google Scholar
- 9.Plotkin, G.D.: Lecture notes on domain theory. The Pisa Notes (1983), http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/gdp/publications/pubs.html
- 11.Morgan, C., McIver, A.: Abstraction, Refinement and Proof for Probabilistic Systems. Springer, Heidelberg (2004) (to appear)Google Scholar
- 15.Panangaden, P.: Labelled Markov Processes. Imperial College Press (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Blute, R., Desharnais, J., Edalat, A., Panangaden, P.: Bisimulation for labelled Markov processes. In: Proceedings of the Twelfth IEEE Symposium On Logic In Computer Science, Warsaw, Poland (1997)Google Scholar
- 17.Desharnais, J., Edalat, A., Panangaden, P.: A logical characterization of bisimulation for labelled Markov processes. In: Proceedings of the 13th IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, pp. 478–489. IEEE Press, Indianapolis (1998)Google Scholar
- 19.Desharnais, J., Gupta, V., Jagadeesan, R., Panangaden, P.: Approximation of labeled Markov processes. In: Proceedings of the Fifteenth Annual IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, pp. 95–106. IEEE Computer Society Press (2000)Google Scholar
- 21.Desharnais, J., Gupta, V., Jagadeesan, R., Panangaden, P.: The metric analogue of weak bisimulation for labelled Markov processes. In: Proceedings of the Seventeenth Annual IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, pp. 413–422 (2002)Google Scholar
- 27.Kozen, D.: Coinductive proof principles for stochastic processes. In: Alur, R. (ed.) Proceedings of the 21st Annual IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, LICS 2006, pp. 359–366 (2006)Google Scholar