Fuzzy Inference-Based Reliable Fall Detection Using Kinect and Accelerometer
Falls are major causes of mortality and morbidity in the elderly. However, prevalent methods only utilize accelerometers or both accelerometers and gyroscopes to separate falls from activities of daily living. This makes it not easy to distinguish real falls from fall-like activities. The existing CCD-camera based solutions require time for installation, camera calibration and are not generally cheap. In this paper we show how to achieve reliable fall detection. The detection is done by a fuzzy inference system using low-cost Kinect and a device consisting of an accelerometer and a gyroscope. The experimental results indicate high accuracy of the detection and effectiveness of the system.
KeywordsMembership Function Fuzzy Inference System Depth Image Fall Detection Fuzzy Inference Engine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Kwolek, B.: Visual system for tracking and interpreting selected human actions. Journal of WSCG 11(2), 274–281 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, T., Mihailidis, A.: An intelligent emergency response system: preliminary development and testing of automated fall detection. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 194–198 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, Q., Stankovic, J., Hanson, M., Barth, A., Lach, J., Zhou, G.: Accurate, fast fall detection using gyroscopes and accelerometer-derived posture information. In: Int. Wksp. on Wearable and Implantable Body Sensor Networks, pp. 138–143 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Miaou, S.G., Sung, P.-H., Huang, C.-Y.: A customized human fall detection system using omni-camera images and personal information. Distributed Diagnosis and Home Healthcare, 39–42 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Noury, N., Fleury, A., Rumeau, P., Bourke, A., Laighin, G., Rialle, V., Lundy, J.: Fall detection - principles and methods. In: Annual Int. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 1663–1666 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Rougier, C., Meunier, J., St-Arnaud, A., Rousseau, J.: Monocular 3D head tracking to detect falls of elderly people. In: Annual Int. Conf. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 6384–6387 (2006)Google Scholar