Analysing the Control Software of the Compact Muon Solenoid Experiment at the Large Hadron Collider
The control software of the CERN Compact Muon Solenoid experiment contains over 30,000 finite state machines. These state machines are organised hierarchically: commands are sent down the hierarchy and state changes are sent upwards. The sheer size of the system makes it virtually impossible to fully understand the details of its behaviour at the macro level. This is fuelled by unclarities that already exist at the micro level. We have solved the latter problem by formally describing the finite state machines in the mCRL2 process algebra. The translation has been implemented using the ASF+SDF meta-environment, and its correctness was assessed by means of simulations and visualisations of individual finite state machines and through formal verification of subsystems of the control software. Based on the formalised semantics of the finite state machines, we have developed dedicated tooling for checking properties that can be verified on finite state machines in isolation.
KeywordsLarge Hadron Collider State Machine Compact Muon Solenoid Finite State Machine Control Software
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baeten, J.C.M., Basten, T., Reniers, M.A.: Process Algebra: Equational Theories of Communicating Processes. Cambridge Tracts in Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 50. Cambridge University Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Groote, J.F., Mathijssen, A.H.J., Reniers, M.A., Usenko, Y.S., van Weerdenburg, M.J.: Analysis of distributed systems with mCRL2. In: Process Algebra for Parallel and Distributed Processing, pp. 99–128. Chapman and Hall (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Holme, O., González-Berges, M., Golonka, P., Schmeling, S.: The JCOP Framework. Technical Report CERN-OPEN-2005-027, CERN, Geneva (September 2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Hwong, Y.-L., Kusters, V.J.J., Willemse, T.A.C.: Analysing the control software of the Compact Muon Solenoid experiment at the Large Hadron Collider. arxiv.org/abs/1101.5324 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Paolucci, P., Polese, G.: The detector control systems for the cms resistive plate chamber, CERN-CMS-NOTE-2008-036 (2008) see, http://cdsweb.cern.ch/record/1167905
- 13.van den Brand, M.G.J., van Deursen, A., Heering, J., de Jong, H.A., de Jonge, M., Kuipers, T., Klint, P., Moonen, L., Olivier, P.A., Scheerder, J., Vinju, J.J., Visser, E., Visser, J.: The ASF+SDF Meta-Environment: A Component-Based Language Development Environment. In: Wilhelm, R. (ed.) CC 2001. LNCS, vol. 2027, pp. 365–370. Springer, Heidelberg (2001)CrossRefGoogle Scholar