The effect of different market opening structures on market quality – experimental evidence
This experimental study focuses on the effect of opening call auctions on market quality. Our examination extends the existing market microstructure literature in two respects. First, in addition of analyzing the market opening, we examine the effect of an opening call auction on the subsequent continuous trading phase. Second, we analyze two different kinds of call auctions with different pre-opening transparency levels. We find that an opening call auction significantly increases the informational efficiency of opening prices and leads to higher market quality of the subsequent continuous double auction market as compared to the continuous double auction alone.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Barclay, M. / T. Hendershott (2004): Liquidity Externalities and Adverse Selection: Evidence from Trading after Hours, Journal of Finance, 59 (2004), 681710.Google Scholar
- 4.Camilleri, Silvio John / Green, Christopher J. (2009): The impact of the suspension of opening and closing call auctions: Evidence from the national stock exchange of India, International Journal of Banking, Accounting and Finance 1, No. 3, S. 257-284.Google Scholar
- 5.Chang, Rosita P. / Rhee, S. Ghon / Stone, Gregory R. / Tang, Ning (2008): How does the call market method affect price efficiency? Evidence from the Singapore Stock Market, Journal of Banking and Finance 32, S. 2205-2219.Google Scholar
- 6.Comerton-Forde, Carole (1999): Do trading rules impact on market efficiency? A comparison of opening procedures on the Australian and Jakarta Stock Exchange, Pacific-Basin Finance Journal 7, S. 495-521.Google Scholar
- 7.Comerton-Forde, Carole / Lau, Sie Ting / McInish, Thomas (2007): Opening and Closing behavior following the introduction of call auctions in Singapore, Pacific-Basin Finance Journal 15, S. 18-35.Google Scholar
- 8.Comerton-Forde, Carole / Rydge, James (2004): A Review of Stock Market Microstructure, SIRCA, April 2004.Google Scholar
- 10.Domowitz, Ian / Madhavan, Ananth (2001): Open Sesame: Alternative Opening Algorithms in Securities Markets, Schwartz, Robert A. (Hrsg.): The Electronic Call Auction: Market Mechanism and Trading, Building a Better Stock Market, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, S. 375394.Google Scholar
- 13.Gerace, Dionigi / Tian, Gary Gang / Zheng, Willa (2009): Call Auction Transparency and Market Liquidity: The Shanghai Experience, Working Paper.Google Scholar
- 14.Hoffmann, Peter / van Bommel, Jos (2010): Pre-Trade Transparency in Call Auctions: Quantity Discovery vs. Price Efficiency, Working Paper.Google Scholar
- 16.Medrano, L. / Vives, X. (2001): Strategic behavior and price discovery, RAND Journal of Economics 32, S. 221248.Google Scholar
- 18.Pagano, Michael S. / Peng, Lin / Schwartz, Robert A. (2010): Market Structure and Price Formation at Market Openings and Closings: Evidence from Nasdaqs Calls, Working Paper, Villanova University / Baruch College.Google Scholar
- 19.Theissen, Erik (2000): Market Structure, informational efficiency and liquidity: An experimental comparison of auction and dealer markets, Journal of FinancialMarkets 3, S. 333-363.Google Scholar