A Generalized Approach to Molecular Orbital Tomography
Imaging of the outermost molecular orbital by high-order harmonic generation has been limited so far to very simple molecules like nitrogen, since several difficulties had to be overcome in order to extend it to more complex species. In this work we show that molecular imaging can be applied to a triatomic molecule like carbon dioxide, hence paving the way to the exploitation of such technique to the imaging of polyatomic species.
KeywordsTomographic Reconstruction Harmonic Spectrum High Order Harmonic Generation Harmonic Emission Driving Pulse
We acknowledge the partial financial support from the Cariplo Foundation through the project 2009-2562 and from the European Union within the contract n. 228334 JRA-ALADIN (Laserlab Europe II). We gratefully acknowledge the contributions of F. Frassetto, L. Poletto and P. Villoresi in the development of the XUV spectrometer. We thank C. Altucci, P. Corkum, P. Hockett, M. Ivanov, J. Marangos, A. Staudte, C. Smeenk, R. Torres, R. Velotta and D. Villeneuve for the useful discussions.
- 1.P.B. Corkum, Plasma perspective on strong field multiphoton ionization. Phys. Rev. Lett. 71, 1994–1997 (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.J. Itatani, J. Levesque, D. Zeidler, H. Niikura, H. Pepin, J.C. Kieffer et al., Tomographic imaging of molecular orbitals. Nature 432, 867–871 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.W. Boutu, S. Haessler, H. Merdji, P. Breger, G. Waters, M. Stankiewicz et al., Coherent control of attosecond emission from aligned molecules. Nat. Phys. 4, 545–549 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.O. Smirnova, Y. Mairesse, S. Patchkovskii, N. Dudovich, D. Villeneuve, P. Corkum, P.B. Corkum, High harmonic interferometry of multi-electron dynamics in molecules. Nature 460, 972–977 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.C. Vozzi, M. Negro, F. Calegari, G. Sansone, M. Nisoli, S. De Silvestri, S. Stagira, Generalized molecular orbital tomography. Nat. Phys. (2011). doi:10.1038/nphys2029Google Scholar
- 6.C. Vozzi, F. Calegari, E. Benedetti, S. Gasilov, G. Sansone, G. Cerullo et al., Millijoule-level phase-stabilized few-optical-cycle infrared parametric source. Opt. Lett. 32, 2957–2959 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.L. Poletto, G. Tondello, P. Villoresi, High-order laser harmonics detection in the EUV and soft X-ray spectral regions. Rev. Sci. Instrum. 72, 2868–2874 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.C. Vozzi, R. Torres, M. Negro, L. Brugnera, T. Siegel, C. Altucci et al., High harmonic generation spectroscopy of hydrocarbons. Appl. Phys. Lett. 97, 241103 (2010)Google Scholar