Distributing Audiovisual Contents in the New Digital Scenario: Multiplatform Strategies of the Main Spanish TV Networks
- Enrique GuerreroAffiliated withUniversity of Navarra Email author
- , Patricia DiegoAffiliated withUniversity of Navarra
- , Alejandro PardoAffiliated withUniversity of Navarra
The audiovisual entertainment business is undergoing a key moment due to several reasons: the Internet boom, its convergence with television, the prominence of the user as well as the digitalization of the production and distribution processes. Although this phenomenon was initially originated by technological factors, its consequences affect to the whole audiovisual industry and, more specifically, to the very core of the business—contents.
In this context, fiction and entertainment contents must be developed since its first stage for a multimedia and interactive consumption in order to be enjoyed by the audience on a wide range of platforms. From this perspective, successful contents demands capability to be multi-platform distributed and customized by the consumer. In this regard, its interactive options, its potential to create a prestigious brand and a profitable business model, and, last but not least, its power to tell an original transmedia story.
This chapter tries to figure out the most innovative trends in production, distribution and commercialization of multi-platform contents in the case of the main television networks in Spain. In this sense, we are presenting a comparative analysis of their different multi-platform strategies following a two-step methodology: firstly, a descriptive study of their respective websites, online players, mobile apps and social networks’ profiles; secondly, questionnaires to the multimedia managers of the chief networks together with some personal interviews.
The preliminary results of this research prove that, in the Spanish case, the convergence of television and the Internet is revolutionizing the production and commercialization of audiovisual contents, although it is also clear that is still in a challenging first stage.
- Distributing Audiovisual Contents in the New Digital Scenario: Multiplatform Strategies of the Main Spanish TV Networks
- Book Title
- Handbook of Social Media Management
- Book Subtitle
- Value Chain and Business Models in Changing Media Markets
- Book Part
- Part III
- pp 349-373
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Series Title
- Media Business and Innovation
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 2. Institute for Media Business, Media Business Transfer Center
- 3. Humboldt Media Business School
- Author Affiliations
- 4. University of Navarra, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.