Online Social Networks Impact in Secondary Education
This paper presents and analyzes the potential uses and motivations of online social networks in education, with special emphasis on secondary education. First, we show several previous researches supporting the use of social networking as an educational tool and discuss Edmodo, an educative online social network. The work carried out during two academic years with senior students of primary and secondary schools is also analyzed. This research has allowed us to see the reality of social network use among young people and identify the challenges of its application to education environment.
KeywordsOnline Social Networks e-Learning Secondary Education Educative Web Tools Collaborative Systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Boyd, D., Ellison, N.: Social Network Sites: Definition, History, and Scholarship. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication 13 (1) (October 2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Haythornthwaite, C.: Strong, Weak, and Latent Ties and the Impact of New Media. The Information Society: An International Journal 18(5), 385–401 (2002), doi:10.1080/01972240290108195Google Scholar
- 3.LinkedIn red social on-line profesional, http://www.linkedin.com
- 4.Moodle 2.0.2. Recuperado el4 de Abril de (2011), http://moodle.org/
- 5.Elearnixml: towards a model-based approach for the development of e-learning systems. Tesis Doctoral de Habib Moussa Fardoun. Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.EdModo red social on-line educativa, http://www.edmodo.com
- 7.Tuenti red social on-line, http://www.tuenti.com