Understanding Computer Architecture with Visual Simulations: What Educational Value?
Many software simulators have been created for educational purposes. Such educational tools need to be both engaging and pedagogically sound if they are to enhance students’ learning experiences. A system simulator for computer architecture teaching and learning has been developed and refined according to both established and emerging new principles of pedagogy. A methodology for evaluating the simulator’s educational value has been identified and successfully applied during scheduled practical tutorial classes in years two and three of a three year undergraduate computing degree. The results are presented both qualitatively and quantitatively and are strongly indicative of the positive pedagogical value offered by the system simulations.
KeywordsComputer Architecture Compiler Optimization Tutorial Session Visual Simulation Practical Exercise
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bloom, B.S., Krathwohl, D.R.: Taxonomy of Educational Objectives; the Classification of Educational Goals, Handbook I: Cognitive Domain. Addison-Wesley (1956)Google Scholar
- 2.Field, A.: Discovering Statistics Using SPSS, 3rd edn. SAGE Publications Ltd (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Garrido, J.M., Schlesinger, R.: Principles of Modern Operating Systems. Jones and Bartlett (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Leite, W.L., Svinicki, M., Shi, Y.: Attempted Validation of the Scores of the VARK: Learning Styles Inventory With Multitrait–Multimethod Confirmatory Factor Analysis Models, p. 2. SAGE Publications (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Mustafa, B.: YASS: A System Simulator for Operating System and Computer Architecture Teaching and Learning. In: FISER 2009 Conference, Famagusta, Cyprus, March 22-24 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Naps, T.L., Fleischer, R., McNally, M., et al.: Exploring the Role of Visualization and Engagement in Computer Science Education. ACM SIGCSE Bulletin 35(2) (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Nikolic, B., Radivojevic, Z., Djordjevic, J., Milutinovic, V.: A Survey and Evaluation of Simulators Suitable for Teaching Courses in Computer Architecture and Organization. IEEE Transactions on Education 52(4) (November 2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Null, L., Lobur, J.: MarieSim: The MARIE computer simulator. ACM Journal of Educational Resources in Computing 3(2), article 1 (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Teach-sim educational simulators, http://teach-sim.com (accessed November 24, 2011)
- 10.Urquiza-Fuentes, J., Valezquez-Iturbide, J.A.: A survey of Successful Evaluations of Program Visualization and Algorithm Animation Systems. ACM Transactions on Computing Education 9(2), article 9 (June 2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Yurcik, W., Wolffe, G.S., Holliday, M.A.: A survey of simulators used in computer organization/architecture courses. In: SCSC 2001, Orlando FL, USA (July 2001)Google Scholar