A Reliable ICT Solution for Organ Transport Traceability and Incidences Reporting Based on Sensor Networks and Wireless Technologies
This paper describes an ICT solution based on an intelligent onboard system which is able to trace theorgans inside a medical vanduring delivery routes to thehospitals, without altering the carriers daily tasks. The intelligent onboard systemis able to ensure the safety of the cargo by means of a sensor networkwho permanently evaluatestheir status.The van understands its environment, including: its location, the temperature and the humidity of the transported organs; and can report incidences instantly via wireless communications to anyone interested. It is a non-intrusive solution which represents a successful experience of using smart environments in a viable way to resolve a real social and healthcare necessity.
Keywordsmedical traceability transportation of organs incidence management sensor networks wireless technologies
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Schwägele, F.: Traceability from a European perspective. In: 51st International Congress of Meat Science and Technology (ICoMST), Meat Science, vol. 71(1), pp. 164–173 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Huang, G.Q., Qin, Z., Qu, T., Dai, Q.: RFID-enabled pharmaceutical regulatory traceability system. In: 2010 IEEE International Conference on RFID-Technology and Applications (RFID-TA), Guangzhou, China, pp. 211–216 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Bertolini, M., Bottani, E., Rizzi, A., Volpi, A.: The Benefits of RFID and EPC in the Supply Chain: Lessons from an Italian pilot study. The Internet of Things, Part 4, 293–302 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Moreno, A., Valls, A., Ribes, A.: Finding Efficient Organ Transport Routes using Multi-Agent Systems. In: Proceedings of the IEEE 3rd International Workshop on Enterprise Networking and Computing in Health Care Industry (Healthcom), L’Aquilla, Italy (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Gutierrez, J.A.: IEEE 802.15.4, Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks: Enabling Wireless Sensor Networks. Institute of Electrical & Electronics Enginee (2003) ISBN: 0738135577Google Scholar