Physiological Characteristics of Drought Resistance in Karelinia Caspica and Atriplex Tatarica Combining Pressure-Volume Technique
Karelinia caspica(Pall.)Less. Var. Asteraceae andAtriplex tatarica L. Var. Chenopodiaceae are dicotyledonous halophytes. They both have a broad distribution in Xinjiang region of China. This paper is about the drought resistance characteristics and differences of K. caspica and A.tatarica combining pressure-volume technique (PV technique), aims to further understanding the growth and distribution characteristics of halophytes. The results showed that the predawn water potential and relative water content were higher in Atriplex tatarica than that of K.caspica, so A.tatarica had higher water saturation deficit (RWDBB0BB) than K.caspica; Both of them were strong Midday depression of transpiration type, while A. tatarica was low water potential dehydration tolerance type, K.caspica was high water potential dehydration detention type; A.tatarica had higher turgor (ψ), elastic modulus (εmax)and osmotic adjustment ability than K.caspica, so it can maintain the stability of water potential and prevent cell dehydration. To some extent, A. tatarica had stronger drought resistance than K.caspica.
KeywordsKarelinia caspica Atriplex tatarica Pressure-Volume technique predawn water potential drought resistance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jia, L., Li, Z.: An Studies of desalting ability and desalting structure in Karelinia caspica. Acta Bot. Borea 24, 510–515 (2004) (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 2.Li, J.Y., Mei, R.L.: A study on the geographic distribution and ecology of C4 plants in china. I. C4 plant distribution in china and their relation with regional climatic condition. Acta Ecologica Sinica 17, 350–363 (1997) (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 3.Xing, D.H., Pei, F.C., Yu, B.G.: Study on Drought Resistance of Four Herbs Using Pressure-volume Curve. Acta Scientiarum Naturalium Universitatis Nankaiensis 39, 16–22 (2006) (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 4.Hong, J.L., Xiao, Y.D., Jian, W.C.: A metod of calculating osmotic water potential (ψ tlp) at turgor loss point in PV curve. Bulletin of Botanical Research 24, 71–76 (2004) (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 6.Yu, C.W., De, X.W., Shao, B.P.: Effects of drought stress on physiological characteristics of woody saltbush. Scientia Silvae Sinicae 46, 61–67 (2010) (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 8.Xue, J.D., Bao, Z.Y., Ke, G., et al.: An investigation on the water physio-ecological characteristics of some psammophytes. Acta Phytoecologica Sinica 18, 86–94 (1994) (in Chinese) Google Scholar
- 9.Yuan, F., Pin, F.L.: The osmotioc adjustment of Karelinia caspia and Atriplex tatarica under drought stress (unpublished)Google Scholar