Empirical Analysis of the Impact of Requirements Engineering on Software Quality
[Context & motivation] The process of requirements engineering affects software quality. However, stronger empirical evaluation of this impact is required. [Question/problem] This paper aims to answer the following questions: (1) which factors related to requirements engineering affect software quality, (2) what is the nature of these relationships, and (3) how are soft quality features related to each other? [Principal ideas/results] To answer these questions we performed a quantitative and visual analysis using the extended ISBSG dataset. Obtained results cover a discussion on identified and unconfirmed relationships. [Contribution] The main contribution is an investigation of the relationships between factors of requirements engineering and software quality. Provided results can be used in further research and to guide industrial decision makers. The main limitation in generalizing the results is related to the high number of missing values in the dataset.
Keywordsempirical analysis process factors requirements engineering software quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berry, D., Franch, X.: REFSQ 2010. LNCS, vol. 6182. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Cann, A.: Maths from Scratch for Biologists. Wiley (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Finkelstein, A.: Requirements engineering: a review and research agenda. In: Proceedings of the 1994 First Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference, pp. 10–19 (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.ISBSG: Repository Data Release 11. International Software Benchmarking Standards Group (2009), http://www.isbsg.org
- 9.ISBSG: ISBSG Comparative Estimating Tool V4.0 – User Guide. International Software Benchmarking Standards Group (2005), http://www.isbsg.org
- 10.Jones, C.: Applied Software Measurement: Global Analysis of Productivity and Quality, 3rd edn. McGraw-Hill, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Kerzner, H.: Project management. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York (1992)Google Scholar
- 12.Maxwell, K.D.: Applied Statistics for Software Managers. Prentice Hall PTR, Upper Saddle River (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Musa, J.D.: Software Reliability Engineering: More Reliable Software Faster and Cheaper, 2nd edn. Authorhouse, Boston (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.Pohl, K.: Requirements Engineering - Fundamentals, Principles, and Techniques. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Radliński, Ł.: Empirical Analysis of the Impact of Requirements Engineering on Software Quality – Raw Results, http://lukrad.univ.szczecin.pl/refsq2012/
- 17.Radliński, Ł.: Factors of Software Quality – Analysis of Extended ISBSG Dataset. Found. Comput Dec. Stud. 36, 293–313 (2011)Google Scholar