A Reverse Auction Market for Cloud Resources
The proliferation of the Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) paradigm has introduced possibilities for trading computational resources on a scale that moves beyond the individual provider level. At present however, the adoption of open markets for trading IaaS resources has been largely unexplored. This paper investigates the design of such an open market. Our focus thereby lies on flexibility and the ability to model and integrate currently deployed pricing schemes of real-world providers instead of imposing new schemes. We discuss the issues encountered by the Continuous Double Auction (CDA) in this regard and introduce a Continuous Reverse Auction (CRA) that is paired with a novel bidding language based on tag and constraint sets.
KeywordsMarkets Bidding Language Reverse Auction Double Auction IaaS Cloud Computing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Dubé, N.: SuperComputing Futures: the Next Sharing Paradigm for HPC Resources. Ph.D. thesis, Université Laval (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Fujiwara, I., Aida, K., Ono, I.: Applying double-sided combinational auctions to resource allocation in cloud computing. In: Proceedings of the 10th IEEE/IPSJ International Symposium on Applications and the Internet (SAINT), pp. 7–14 (July 2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Leong, L.: Adopting cloud infrastructure as a service in the ’real world’. Tech. rep., Gartner (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.NewServers: NewServers homepage (2009), http://www.newservers.com/
- 9.Roovers, J.: A Market Design for IaaS Cloud Resources. Master’s thesis, University of Antwerp (2011), http://thesisjorisroovers.blogspot.com
- 10.Roovers, J., Vanmechelen, K.: IaaS Reverse Auction Market Prototype Implementation (2011), http://jorisroovers.com/files/IaaSMarketPrototype.zip