Software Development Education Based on UEC Software Repository
Most of the software developed in universities is primarily used by the developers themselves. Normally, most of this software is managed and stored on servers in the research laboratories, but since the software is generally lacking in documentation and is not developed with third-party use in mind, it tends to be used only by the original developers. It is seldom reused after the developers have graduated, and is often not in a fit state for use by third parties. Today’s information systems graduates have not been provided with sufficient education with regard to the knowledge, techniques and experience needed for the usual software development process of actual software development businesses from project planning through to execution and management (requirements analysis, development, implementation, testing, etc.) and lack the basic skills for handling actual business situations. In this paper, we report on our approach to software management using the UEC software repository to consolidate software assets, and on practical software development education based on this repository.
KeywordsSoftware Development System Administrator Project Leader Software User Open Source Project
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.National Institute of Informatics. NII Institutional Repositories Program, http://www.nii.ac.jp/irp/en/
- 2.Folio direct, http://www.foliodirect.net/
- 3.SourceForge, http://sourceforge.net/
- 4.Github, https://github.com/
- 5.Keidanren, http://www.keidanren.or.jp/japanese/policy/2005/039/index.html (in Japanese)
- 6.Almi, N., Rahman, N., Purusothaman, D., Sulaiman, S.: Proceedings of 2011 IEEE Symposium on Computers & Informatics (ISCI 2011), pp. 542–547 (2011), doi:10.1109/ISCI.2011.5958974Google Scholar
- 8.Yadav, S.S., Xiahou, J.: Proceedings of 2010 International Conference on Educational and Network Technology (ICENT), pp. 34–36 (2010), doi:10.1109/ICENT.2010.5532120Google Scholar
- 9.Li, N., Liang, Q., Peng Zhang, Z.: Proceedings of 2010 Second International Workshop on Education Technology and Computer Science (ETCS), vol. 1, pp. 781–784 (2010), doi:10.1109/ETCS.2010.104Google Scholar
- 10.Borner, K., Zhou, Y.: Proceedings of Fifth International Conference on Information Visualisation 2001, pp. 257–262 (2001), doi:10.1109/IV.2001.942068Google Scholar
- 11.Jaccheri, L., Osterlie, T.: Proceedings of First International Workshop on Emerging Trends in FLOSS Research and Development (FLOSS 2007), p. 5 (2007), doi:10.1109/FLOSS.2007.12Google Scholar