Evaluation of Algorithms for Lung Fissure Segmentation in CT Images
Automatic detection of the interlobular lung fissures is a crucial task in computer aided diagnostics and intervention planning, and required for example for determination of disease spreading or pulmonary parenchyma quantification. Moreover, it is usually the first step of a subsequent segmentation of the five lung lobes. Due to the clinical relevance, several approaches for fissure detection have been proposed. They aim at finding plane-like structures in the images by analyzing the eigenvalues of the Hessian matrix. Furthermore, these values can be used as features for supervised fissure detection. In this work, two approaches for supervised an three for unsupervised fissure detection are evaluated and compared to each other. The evaluation is based on thoracic CT images acquired with different radiation doses and different resolutions. The experiments show that each approach has advantages and the choice should be made depending on the specific requirements of following algorithm steps.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lassen B, Kuhnigk JM, Friman O, et al. Automatic segmentation of lung lobes in CT images based on fissures, vessels, and bronchi. In: Proc IEEE ISBI; 2010. p. 560–563.Google Scholar
- 4.Schmidt-Richberg A, Ehrhardt J, Wilms M, et al. Pulmonary lobe segmentation with level sets. In: Proc SPIE; 2012. (in press).Google Scholar
- 5.Wiemker R, Bulow T, Blaffert T. Unsupervised extraction of the pulmonary in- terlobar fissures from high resolution thoracic CT data. In: Proc CARS; 2005. p. 1121–26.Google Scholar
- 6.Antiga L. Generalizing vesselness with respect to dimensionality and shape. Insight J. 2007.Google Scholar
- 8.Frangi AF, Frangi RF, Niessen WJ, et al. Multiscale vessel enhancement filtering. In: Proc MICCAI; 1998. p. 130–7.Google Scholar
- 9.Ross JC, San’ Jose Est’par R, Kindlmann G, et al. Automatic lung lobe segmentation using particles, thin plate splines, and maximum a posteriori estimation. In: Proc MICCAI; 2010. p. 163–71.Google Scholar