Using Eyetracking in a Mobile Applications Usability Testing
In this paper we present general problems of a mobile application usability testing by means of eyetracking. The motivation for considering this problem is the fact that eyetracking is still one of the most advanced usability testing tool. We achieved that by performing two eyetracking tests with the participation of users. We tested mobile application on smartphone and PC emulator, to find out which method gives the most valuable results. Both tests showed that eyetracking testing of mobile applications gives valuable results but to make it really efficient professional equipment designed for mobile eyetracking is required.
KeywordsEyetracking Usability Human-Computer Interaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Applied Science Group, Eye Tracking System Instructions. ASL Eye-Trac 6000, Pan Tilt/Optics (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Applied Science Group, Eye Tracking System Instructions. ASL Eye-Trac 6000 Head Mounted Optics (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Information about YouWave Android project, http://www.youwave.com/
- 7.Information about growth of smartphone market, http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2010/9/European_Smartphone_Market_Grows_41_Percent_in_Past_Year
- 8.International Standard ISO 9241-11. Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual display terminals (VDTs) – Part 11: Guidance on Usability. ISO (1997), http://www.cs.tufts.edu/~jacob/papers/barfield.pdf (March 13, 2011)
- 9.Mohamed, A.O., Perreira Da Silva, M., Courbolay, V.: A history of eye gaze tracking (2007), http://hal.archivesouvertes.fr/docs/00/21/59/67/PDF/Rapport_interne_1.pdf (March 10, 2011)
- 10.Nielsen, J.: Jakob Nielsen’s Alertbox, F-Shaped Pattern For Reading Web Content (April 17, 2006), http://www.useit.com/alertbox/reading_pattern.html (March 12, 2011)
- 11.Nielsen, J.: Jakob Nielsen’s Alertbox, Mobile Usability (July 20, 2009), http://www.useit.com/alertbox/mobile-usability.html (March 10, 2011)