Hybrid Genetic Simulated Annealing Algorithm (HGSAA) to Solve Storage Container Problem in Port
Container terminals play an important role in marine transportation; they constitute transfer stations to multimodal transport. In this paper, we study the storage of containers. We model the seaport system as a container location model, with an objective function designed to minimize the distance between the vessel berthing locations and the storage zone. Due to the inherent complexity of the problem, we propose a hybrid algorithm based on genetic (GA) and simulated annealing (SA) algorithm. In this paper, three different forms of integration between GA and SA are developed. In order to prove the efficiency of the HGSAAs proposed are compared to the optimal solutions for small-scale problems of an exact method which is Branch and Bound using the commercial software ILOG CPLEX. Computational results on real dimensions taken from the terminal of Normandy, Le Havre port, France, show the good quality of the solutions obtained by the HGSAAs.
KeywordsContainer terminal storage container hybrid genetic simulated annealing algorithm (HGSAA)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bourazza, S.: Variants of genetic algorithms applied to scheduling problems. PhD Thesis, University of Le Havre, France (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.El-Mihoub, T.A., Hopgood, A.A., Nolle, L., Battersby, A.: Hybrid Genetic Algorithms: A Review. Engineering Letters 13, 2–16 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.El-Mihoub, T.A., Hopgood, A.A., Nolle, L., Battersby, A.: Performance of Hybrid Genetic Algorithms Incorporating Local Search. In: Horton, G. (ed.) 18th European Simulation Multiconference (ESM 2004), Magdeburg, Germany, pp. 154–160 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.El-Ghazali, T.: Metaheuristics from design to implementation. John Wiley and Sons (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Moussi, R., Ndiaye, F., Yassine, A.: A genetic algorithm and new modeling to solve container location problem in port. In: The International Maritime Transport and Logistics Conference, A Vision For Future Integration, Alexandria, Egypt (December 2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Patel, R., Raghuwanshi, M.M., Shrawankar, U.N.: Genetic Algorithm with Histogram Construction Technique. Journal of Information Hiding and Multimedia Signal Processing 2(4), 342–351 (2011)Google Scholar