Further Improving the Scalability of the Scalasca Toolset
Scalasca is an open-source toolset that can be used to analyze the performance behavior of parallel applications and to identify opportunities for optimization. Target applications include simulation codes from science and engineering based on the parallel programming interfaces MPI and/or OpenMP. Scalasca, which has been specifically designed for use on large-scale machines such as IBM Blue Gene and Cray XT, integrates runtime summaries suitable to obtain a performance overview with in-depth studies of concurrent behavior via event tracing. Although Scalasca was already successfully used with codes running with 294,912 cores on a 72-rack Blue Gene/P system, the current software design shows scalability limitations that adversely affect user experience and that will present a serious obstacle on the way to mastering larger scales in the future. In this paper, we outline how to address the two most important ones, namely the unification of local identifiers at measurement finalization as well as collating and displaying analysis reports.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Accelerated Strategic Computing Initiative: The ASC SMG2000 benchmark code (2001), http://www.llnl.gov/asc/purple/benchmarks/limited/smg/
- 2.Geimer, M., Wolf, F., Wylie, B.J.N., Ábrahám, E., Becker, D., Mohr, B.: The Scalasca performance toolset architecture. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience 22(6), 702–719 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Knüpfer, A., Brunst, H., Doleschal, J., Jurenz, M., Lieber, M., Mickler, H., Müller, M.S., Nagel, W.E.: The Vampir performance analysis tool set. In: Resch, M., Keller, R., Himmler, V., Krammer, B., Schulz, A. (eds.) Tools for High Performance Computing, pp. 139–155. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Roth, P.C., Arnold, D.C., Miller, B.P.: MRNet: A software-based multicast/reduction network for scalable tools. In: Proc. Supercomputing Conference, SC 2003, Phoenix, AZ, USA (November 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Wylie, B.J.N., Böhme, D., Mohr, B., Szebenyi, Z., Wolf, F.: Performance analysis of Sweep3D on Blue Gene/P with the Scalasca toolset. In: Proc. International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium, Workshop on Large-Scale Parallel Processing IPDPS–LSPP, Atlanta, GA, USA. IEEE Computer Society (April 2010)Google Scholar