A Verification Method for Collaborative Business Processes
The verification of collaborative processes is a key issue to consider in cross-organizational modeling methodologies. Some of the existing verification approaches provide only partial support, whereas others impose some restrictions to verify models with advanced control flow, compromise (completely or partially) the enterprise autonomy, or are focused on technology-dependent specifications. In order to deal with these issues we introduce Global Interaction Nets, which are based on Hierarchical and Colored Petri Nets, and the Global Interaction Soundness property, which was adapted from the classical definition of soundness, as the main correctness criterion. The method can be used to formalize and verify models defined with different modeling languages. In addition, we apply the method through a case study modeled with UP-ColBPIP, which is a modeling language for collaborative processes, and formalize its constructs by means of Global Interaction Nets.
KeywordsVerification Collaborative Business Processes Petri Nets B2B Collaborations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Villarreal, P., Salomone, H., Chiotti, O.: Modeling and specifications of collaborative business processes using a MDA approach and a UML profile. In: Enterprise Modeling and Computing with UML, pp. 13–45. Idea Group Inc. (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.OMG, BPMN 2.0: http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/2.0/
- 4.Huemer, C., Liegl, P., Motal, T., Schuster, R., Zapletal, M.: The development process of the UN/CEFACT modeling methodology. In: ICEC, pp. 1–10. ACM (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Modeling and analyzing interorganizational workflows. In: Proc. of the ACSD, pp. 262–272. IEEE Comp. Soc., Washington, DC (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.van der Aalst, W., van Hee, K., ter Hofstede, A., Sidorova, N., Verbeek, H., Voorhoeve, M., Wynn, M.: Soundness of workflow nets: classification, decidability, and analysis. Formal Aspects of Computing, 1–31 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Breugel, F., Koshkina, M.: Models and Verification of BPEL, http://www.cse.yorku.ca/~franck/research/drafts/tutorial.pdf
- 11.Jensen, K., Kristensen, L.M.: Coloured Petri Nets: Modelling and Validation of Concurrent Systems, 1st edn. Springer Publishing Company, Incorporated Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Workflow Patterns: http://www.workflowpatterns.com
- 13.Lazarte, I., Tello-Leal, E., Roa, J., Chiotti, O., Villarreal, P.: Model-Driven Development Methodology for B2B Collaborations. In: EDOCW, pp. 69–78. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar