Voice Technology to Enable Sophisticated Access to Historical Audio Archive of the Czech Radio
The Czech Radio archive of spoken documents is considered one of the gems of the Czech cultural heritage. It contains the largest collection (more than 100.000 hours) of spoken documents recorded during the last 90 years. We are developing a complex platform that should automatically transcribe a significant portion of the archive, index it and eventually prepare it for full-text search. The four-year project supported by the Czech Ministry of culture is challenging in the way that it copes with huge volumes of data, with historical as well as contemporary language, a rather low signal quality in case of old recordings, and also with documents spoken not only in Czech but also in Slovak. The technology used includes speech, speaker and language recognition modules, speaker and channel adaptation components, tools for data indexation and retrieval, and a web interface that allows for public access to the archive. Recently, a demo version of the platform is available for testing and searching in some 10.000 hours of already processed data.
Keywordsaudio archive processing speech-to-text audio search
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hayashi, Y., et al.: Speech-based and video-supported indexing multimedia broadcast news. In: Proc. ACM SIGIR (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Ordelman, R., de Jong, F., Huijbregts, M., van Leeuwen, D.: Robust audio indexing for Dutch spoken word collections. In 16th Int. Conference of the Association for History and Computing, Humanities, Computers and Cultural Heritage, Amsterdam, pp. 215–223 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Nouza, J., Zdansky, J., Cerva, P.: System for automatic collection, annotation and indexing of Czech broadcast speech with full-text search. In: 15th IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference (MELECON 2010), Malta, pp. 202–205 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Nouza, J., Zdansky, J.: Automatic Alignment between Speech Records and Their Text Transcriptions for Audio Archive Indexing and Searching. In: 6th IEEE Conference on Informatics and Systems, pp. MM6–MM12. IEEE, Egypt (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.FFmpeg converter program, http://www.ffmpeg.org/
- 9.MySQL platform, http://www.mysql.com/
- 10.SPHINX platform, http://sphinxsearch.com/
- 11.Demo of APAP platform, http://ahmed.ite.tul.cz/demo/
- 12.Nouza, J., Silovsky, J., Zdansky, J., Cerva, P., Kroul, M., Chaloupka, J.: Czech-to-Slovak Adapted Broadcast News Transcription System. In: Proc. of Interspeech 2008, Australia, pp. 2683–2686 (2008)Google Scholar