A Memetic Algorithm and a Solution Archive for the Rooted Delay-Constrained Minimum Spanning Tree Problem
We present a memetic algorithm for a combinatorial optimization problem called rooted delay-constrained minimum spanning tree problem arising for example in centralized broadcasting networks where quality of service constraints are of concern. The memetic algorithm is based on a specialized solution representation and a simple and effective decoding mechanism. Solutions are locally improved by a variable neighborhood descent in two neighborhood structures. Furthermore, to tackle the problem of repeated examination of already visited solutions we investigate a simple hash-based method to only detect duplicates or, alternatively, a trie-based complete solution archive to additionally derive new unvisited solutions. Experimental results show that our memetic algorithm outperforms existing heuristic approaches for this problem in most cases. Including the hash-based duplicate detection mostly further improves solution quality whereas the solution archive can only rarely obtain better results due to its operational overhead.
Keywordsnetwork design memetic algorithm solution archive delay constraints
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gruber, M., van Hemert, J., Raidl, G.R.: Neighborhood Searches for the Bounded Diameter Minimum Spanning Tree Problem Embedded in a VNS, EA, and ACO. In: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, vol. 2, pp. 1187–1194. ACM, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Leggieri, V., Haouari, M., Triki, C.: An Exact Algorithm for the Steiner Tree Problem with Delays. Electronic Notes in Discrete Mathematics, vol. 36, pp. 223–230. Elsevier, Amsterdam (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Leitner, M., Ruthmair, M., Raidl, G.R.: Stabilized Branch-and-Price for the Rooted Delay-Constrained Steiner Tree Problem. In: Pahl, J. (ed.) INOC 2011. LNCS, vol. 6701, pp. 124–138. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Manyem, P., Stallmann, M.: Some approximation results in multicasting. Tech. Rep. TR-96-03, North Carolina State University (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Ruthmair, M., Raidl, G.R.: Variable Neighborhood Search and Ant Colony Optimization for the Rooted Delay-Constrained Minimum Spanning Tree Problem. In: Schaefer, R., Cotta, C., Kołodziej, J., Rudolph, G. (eds.) PPSN XI, Part II. LNCS, vol. 6239, pp. 391–400. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Salama, H.F., Reeves, D.S., Viniotis, Y.: An Efficient Delay-Constrained Minimum Spanning Tree Heuristic. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos (1996)Google Scholar
- 14.Xu, Y., Qu, R.: A GRASP approach for the Delay-constrained Multicast routing problem. In: Proceedings of the 4th Multidisplinary International Scheduling Conference (MISTA4), Dublin, Ireland, pp. 93–104 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Xu, Y., Qu, R.: A hybrid scatter search meta-heuristic for delay-constrained multicast routing problems. Applied Intelligence 1–13 (2010)Google Scholar