A Multilevel Heuristic for the Rooted Delay-Constrained Minimum Spanning Tree Problem
The rooted delay-constrained minimum spanning tree problem is an NP-hard combinatorial optimization problem. The problem appears in practice for example when designing a distribution network with a guarantee of timely delivery. Another example is be a centralized broadcasting network where the delaybound represents a quality of service constraint. We introduce a multilevel-based construction heuristic which uses a new measurement for the suitability of edges to create a solution for the problem. In comparison to existing heuristics the main intention is not to create a minimum cost spanning tree, but a solution with a high potential for further improvement. Experimental results indicate that in most cases our approach produces solutions that after local improvement are of higher quality than those of other existing construction techniques.
KeywordsSpan Tree Variable Neighborhood Search Ranking Score Scatter Search Minimum Span Tree Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ghaboosi, N., Haghighat, A.T.: A Path Relinking Approach for Delay-Constrained Least-Cost Multicast Routing Problem. In: Proceedings of the 19th IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, pp. 383–390 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Ruthmair, M., Raidl, G.R.: Variable Neighborhood Search and Ant Colony Optimization for the Rooted Delay-Constrained Minimum Spanning Tree Problem. In: Schaefer, R., Cotta, C., Kołodziej, J., Rudolph, G. (eds.) PPSN XI, Part II. LNCS, vol. 6239, pp. 391–400. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Salama, H.F., Reeves, D.S., Viniotis, Y.: An Efficient Delay-Constrained Minimum Spanning Tree Heuristic. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Xu, Y., Qu, R.: A GRASP approach for the Delay-constrained Multicast routing problem. In: Proceedings of the 4th Multidisplinary International Scheduling Conference (MISTA4), Dublin, Ireland, pp. 93–104 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Xu, Y., Qu, R.: A hybrid scatter search meta-heuristic for delay-constrained multicast routing problems. Applied Intelligence 1–13 (2010)Google Scholar