Exploring the complexity of understanding, managing and marketing codes for sustainability in the current economic climate – issues for the small builder
In the UK the Code for Sustainable Homes (CSH) is set to become mandatory in 2016. However current attitudinal research highlights unwillingness within the major construction industry although there is some promising research regarding occupier awareness. Little is known about attitudes of Small to Medium Building Enterprises regarding the CSH. We conducted an in-depth interview study with builders and found that by and large they have a good understanding of the CSH and value a good relationship with building inspectors. In addition they are not computer illiterate and have been using technology for decades. Their use of “estimating” software allows them to gain intricate knowledge of all the different stages of the building process and as such presents itself as a promising vehicle to also educate them about the CSH.
KeywordsCode for Sustainable Homes (UK) Small to Medium Enterprise Builders user and attitude research technology use
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Code for Sustainable Homes Technical Guide, Published by Department for Communities and Local Government (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Christiansson, P., Sorensen, K.B., Rodtness, M., Abrahamsen, M., Ostenfeld-Riemnann, L., Alsdorf, M.: User Driven Innovation in the Building Process. Tsinghua Science and Technology 13(S1) (October 2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Dix, A., Finlay, J., Abowd, G.D., Beale, R.: Human-computer interaction, 3rd edn., p. 321. Pearson Education Limited, Harlow (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Downing, P.: Understanding Consumer Attitudes to Sustainable Community Infrastructure. In: Research for the UK Green Building Council & the Zero Carbon Hub, Undertaken by Icaro Consulting on Behalf of the UK Green Building Council and the Zero Carbon Hub, and Funded by the NHBC Foundation (November 2009)Google Scholar
- 11.HBXL website: http://www.hbxl.co.uk
- 12.Integrated Environmental Solutions, http://www.iesve.com/UK-ROI (accessed in 2011)
- 13.ISO 14000, http://www.iso14000-iso14001-environmental-management.com/ (accessed in 2010)
- 14.Likert scales, http://intelligentmeasurement.wordpress.com/2007/11/20/likert-scale-surveys-best-practices/ (accessed in 2010)
- 15.Strategic Forum, http://www.strategicforum.org.uk/ (accessed in 2010)
- 16.Apple sales surge, but stocks slump as iPad figures disappoint (October 2010), http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-sales-surge-but-stocks-slump-as-ipad-figures-disappoint/ (accessed in 2010)