SmartSenior’s Interactive Trainer - Development of an Interactive System for a Home-Based Fall-Prevention Training for Elderly People
In this article we picture the process of development for an interactive training system for the prevention of falls for older people in the project SmartSenior. Initially, we will depict the medical background of falls, which is the basis of the user-centered design of our device. Following a thoroughly evaluation of evidenced-based therapeutic strategies and a detailed requirement analysis, an interdisciplinary team consisting of physical therapists, medical practitioners and system engineers developed a technical architecture to enable older people to train their individual functional deficits via a home based telemedical infrastructure. Furthermore, we describe the sensor technology, feedback system used for motivation and correction of the trainee and the security model for the transmission of movement data to an assisting physical therapist.
KeywordsFall Risk Natural User Interface Dialog System Dialog Manager Fall Prevention Exercise
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Raschke, M.J.: Alterstraumatologie: Prophylaxe, Therapie und Rehabilitation. Urban & Fischer Verlag (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Gillespie, L.D., Ajani, U.A.: Interventions for preventing falls in older people living in the community. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (Online) (2), S.CD007146 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Howe, T.E., Rochester, L., Jackson, A., Banks, P.M.H., Blair, V.A.: Exercise for improving balance in older people. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (Online) (4), S. CD004963 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, C.-J.: Progressive resistance strength training for improving physical function in older adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (Online) 3, S. CD002759 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Ashworth, N.L., Chad, K.E., Harrison, E.L., Reeder, B.A., Marshall, S. C.: Home versus center based physical activity programs in older adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (Online) 1, S. CD004017 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Gieselmann, H.: Tanz der Skelette. c’t, Heft 8, S100–S107 (2011)Google Scholar