Conviction Scheme for Classifying Misbehaving Nodes in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
A Mobile ad-hoc network (MANET) is a wireless network, self-configuring, capable of self-directed operation, hastily deployable and operates without infrastructure. Nodes cooperate to provide connectivity, operates without centralized administration. Nodes are itinerant, topology can be very dynamic and nodes must be able to relay traffic since communicating nodes might be out of range. The dynamic nature of MANET makes network open to attacks and unreliability. A node may be unsuccessful to cooperate during routing, sometimes may even disturb the routing transaction. The Qos parameters like PDR, throughput and delay are affected directly due to such behavior of nodes and it is termed as misbehaving nodes. A trust-based system can be used to track this misbehaving of nodes, spot them and isolate them from routing and provide reliability. In this paper a trust based reliable AODV protocol is presented which implements a trust value for each node. Every node is defined as reliable node if its trust value is greater than threshold value, if not it’s a misbehaving node. This enhances reliability in AODV routing and results in increase of PDR, decrease in delay and throughput is maintained. This work is implemented and simulated on NS-2. Based on simulation results, the proposed protocol provides more consistent and reliable data transfer compared with normal AODV, if there are misbehaving nodes in the MANET.
KeywordsAd-hoc AODV MANET Trust Misbehaving node Qos
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kortuem, G., Schneider, J., Preuitt, D., Thompson, T.G.C., F’ickas, S., Segall, Z.: When Peer to-Peer comes Face-to-Face: Collaborative Peer-to-Peer Computing in Mobile Ad hoc Networks. In: 1st International Conference on Peer-to-Peer Computing, Linkoping, Sweden, pp. 75–91 (August 2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Perkins, C., Royer, E., Das, S.: Ad hoc on-demand Distance Vector Routing, RFC-3651Google Scholar
- 3.Hu, Y.: Enabling Secure High-Performance Wireless Ad Hoc Networking, PhD Thesis, Carnegie Mellon University, CMU (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.IIyas, M.: The Handbook of Wireless Ad Hoc Network, CRC (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Jassim, H.S., Yussof, S.: A Routing Protocol based on Trusted and shortest Path selection for Mobile Ad hoc Network. In: IEEE 9th Malaysia International Conference on Communications (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Umuhoza, D., Agbinya, J.I.: Estimation of Trust Metrics for MANET Using QoS Parameter and Source Routing Algorithms. In: The 2nd International Conference on Wireless Broadband and Ultra Wideband Communications (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Abu Bakar, A., Ismail, R., Jais, J.: Forming Trust in Mobile Ad -Hoc Network. In: 2009 International Conference on Communications and Mobile Computing (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Mangrulkar, R.S., Atique, M.: Trust Based Secured Adhoc on Demand Distance Vector Routing Protocol for Mobile Adhoc Network (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Menaka, A., Pushpa, M.E.: Trust Based Secure Routing in AODV Routing Protocol (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.TAODV: A Trusted AODV Routing protocol for Mobile ad hoc networks (2009)Google Scholar