Relation Extraction Based on Composite Kernel Combining Pattern Similarity of Predicate-Argument Structure
Lots of valuable textual information is used to extract relations between named entities from literature. Composite kernel approach is proposed in this paper. The composite kernel approach calculates similarities based on the following information: (1) Phrase structure in convolution parse tree kernel that has shown encouraging results. (2) Predicate-argument structure patterns. In other words, the approach deals with syntactic structure as well as semantic structure using a reciprocal method. The proposed approach was evaluated using various types of test collections and it showed the better performance compared with those of previous approach using only information from syntactic structures. In addition, it showed the better performance than those of the state of the art approach.
KeywordsSyntactic Structure Parse Tree Relation Extraction Tree Kernel Candidate Entity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bunescu, R.C., Mooney, R.J.: A Shortest Path Dependency Kernel for Relation Extraction. In: Proceedings of the Human Language Technology Conference and Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, Vancouver, B.C, pp. 724–731 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Culotta, A., Sorensen, J.: Dependency Tree Kernels for Relation Extraction. In: Proceedings of the 42nd Annual Meeting on Association for Computational Linguistics (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Bunescu, R.C., Mooney, R.J.: Subsequence Kernels for Relation Extraction. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhang, M., Zhang, J., Su, J., Zhou, G.: A Composite Kernel to Extract Relations between Entities with both Flat and Structured Features. In: 21st International Conference on Computational Linguistics and 44th Annual Meeting of the ACL, pp. 825–832 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Collins, M., Duffy, N.: Convolution Kernels for Natural Language. In: NIPS 2001 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.GuoDong, Z., Min, Z., Dong, H.J., QiaoMing, Z.: Tree Kernel-based Relation Extraction with Context-Sensitive Structured Parse Tree Information. In: Proceedings of the 2007 Joint Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing and Computational Natural Language Learning, Prague, pp. 728–736 (June 2007)Google Scholar