PSO Based Memetic Algorithm for Unimodal and Multimodal Function Optimization
Memetic Algorithm is a metaheuristic search method. It is based on both the natural evolution and individual learning by transmitting unit of information among them. In the present paper, Genetic Algorithm due to its good exploration capability is used for exploration and Particle Swarm Optimization (PSO) does local search. The memetic process is realized using the fitness information from the individual having best fitness value and searching around it locally with PSO. The proposed algorithm (PSO based memetic algorithm -pMA) is tested on 13 standard benchmark functions having unimodal and multimodal property. When results are compared, the proposed memetic algorithm shows better performance than GA and PSO. The performance of the discussed memetic algorithm is better in terms of convergence speed and quality of solutions.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Local Search Memetic Algorithm Local Search Algorithm Multimodal Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nguyen, Q.H., Ong, Y.S., Krasnogor, N.: A Study on the Design Issues of Me-metic Algorithm. In: Proc. of the IEEE Congr. Evol. Comput. (CEC 2007), pp. 2390–2397 (September 2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Moscato, P.A.: On evolution, search, optimization, genetic algorithms and martial arts: Towards memetic algorithms, Tech. Rep. Caltech Concurrent Computation Program, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, Report 826 (1989)Google Scholar
- 7.Akbari, R., Ziarati, K.: Combination of Particle Swarm Optimization and Stochastic Local Search for Multimodal Function Optimization. In: Proc. of the IEEE Pacific-Asia Workshop on Computational Intelligence and Industrial Application (PACIIA 2008), pp. 388–392 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, B., Ong, Y.S., Le M.N., Goh, C.K.: Memetic Gradient Search. In: Proc. of the IEEE Congress on Evol. Comput. (CEC 2008), pp. 2894–2901 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Jadhav, D.G., Pattnaik, S.S., Devi, S., Lohokare, M.R., Bakwad, K.M.: Approximate Memetic Algorithm for Consistent Convergence. In: Proc. National Conf. on Computational Instrumentation (NCCI 2010), pp. 118–122 (March 2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Eshelman, L.J., Schaffer, J.D.: Real-coded genetic algorithms and interval-shemata. In: Darrell Whitley, L. (ed.) Foundation of Genetic Algorithms, vol. 2, pp. 187–202. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo (1993)Google Scholar
- 13.Suganthan, P.N., Hansen, N., Liang, J.J., Deb, K., Chen, Y.P., Auger A., Tiwari, S.: Problem Definitions and Evaluation Criteria for the CEC 2005 Special Session on Real-Parameter Optimization. Technical Report, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, & KanGAL Report #2005005, IIT Kanpur, India (May 2005)Google Scholar