What Can Agent-Based Computing Offer Service-Oriented Architectures, and Vice Versa?
This article serves as a record of a panel discussion held at PRIMA in November, 2010. The panel consisted of two academic and three industry representatives, and thus provided a rare opportunity to discuss the relationship between agent-based computing and service-oriented architectures from both points of view. The basic question for the panel was to identify the key research and industry issues that arise in the deployment of systems based on service-oriented architectures, and in particular to address whether the agent-based computing paradigm offers any resolution of those issues. The question was also posed whether applications based on service-oriented architectures provide a suitable platform for implementing agent-based systems, which are presently limited in application by comparison. This summary is presented with the aim of stimulating further academic and industry collaborative research in this fast growing area which potentially has wide-ranging practical application.
KeywordsBusiness Process Service Level Agreement Business Process Management Alive Project Policy Reconciliation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Agarwal, V., Chafle, G., Mittal, S., Srivastava, B.: Understanding Approaches for Web Service Composition and Execution. In: Proceedings of the 1st Bangalore Annual Compute Conference (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Aldewereld, H., Penserini, L., Dignum, F., Dignum, V.: Regulating Organizations: The ALIVE Approach. In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Regulations Modelling and Deployment (ReMoD 2008) Held in Conjunction with the CAiSE 2008 Conference, pp. 37–48 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Álvarez-Napagao, S., Cliffe, O., Vázquez-Salceda, J., Padget, J.: Norms, Organisations and Semantic Web Services: The ALIVE Approach. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on Coordination, Organization, Institutions and Norms in Agent Systems in Online Communities at MALLOW 2009 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Booth, D., Haas, H., McCabe, F., Newcomer, E., Champion, M., Ferris, C., Orchad, D.: Web Services Architecture. W3C Working Group Note 11, The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) (February 2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Finin, T., Fritzson, R., McKay, D., McEntire, R.: KQML as an Agent Communication Language. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 1994), pp. 456–463 (1994)Google Scholar
- 8.Papazoglou, M.P., Georgakopoulos, D.: Service-Oriented Computing. Communications of the ACM 40, 25–28 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Quillinan, T., Brazier, F., Aldewereld, H., Dignum, F., Dignum, M.V., Penserini, L., Wijngaards, N.: Developing Agent-Based Organizational Models for Crisis Management. In: Proceedings of the Industry Track of the 8th International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Rao, A.S., Georgeff, M.P.: BDI Agents: From Theory to Practice. In: Proceedings of the First International Conference on Multi-Agent Systems (ICMAS 1995), pp. 312–319 (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Schmid, A., Padmanabhuni, S., Schroeder, A.: A Soft Constraints-Based Approach for Reconciliation of Non-Functional Requirements in Web Services-Based Multi-Agent Systems. In: Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE International Conference on Web Services, pp. 711–718 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Srivastava, B., Koehler, J.: Web Service Composition - Current Solutions and Open Problems. In: Proceedings of the ICAPS 2003 Workshop on Planning and Scheduling for Web Services (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Srivastava, B., Mazzoleni, P.: Business Driven Consolidation of SOA Implementations. In: Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE International Conference on Services Computing, pp. 49–56 (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Vázquez-Salceda, J., Dignum, F., Vasconcelos, W., Padget, J., Clarke, S., Ceccaroni, L., Nieuwenhuis, K., Sergean, P.: ALIVE: Combining Organizational and Coordination Theory with Model Driven Approaches to Develop Dynamic, Flexible Distributed Business Systems. In: Telesca, L., Stanoevska-Slabeva, K., Rakocevic, V. (eds.) Digital Business. Springer, Berlin (2009)Google Scholar