Semi-Supervised Classification Using Tree-Based Self-Organizing Maps
This paper presents a classifier which uses a tree-based Neural Network (NN), and uses both, unlabeled and labeled instances. First, we learn the structure of the data distribution in an unsupervised manner. After convergence, and once labeled data become available, our strategy tags each of the clusters according to the evidence provided by the instances. Unlike other neighborhood-based schemes, our classifier uses only a small set of representatives whose cardinality can be much smaller than that of the input set. Our experiments show that, on average, the accuracy of such classifier is reasonably comparable to those obtained by some of the state-of-the-art classification schemes that only use labeled instances during the training phase. The experiments also show that improved levels of accuracy can be obtained by imposing trees with a larger number of nodes.
KeywordsHierarchical SOM Topology-Based Self-Organization Pattern Recognition Semi-Supervised Learning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Baeza-Yates, R.A., Ribeiro-Neto, B.: Modern Information Retrieval. Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co., Inc., Boston (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Dara, R., Kremer, S., Stacey, D.: Clustering unlabeled data with SOMs improves classification of labeled real-world data. In: Proc. of the 2002 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, IJCNN 2002, vol. 3, pp. 2237–2242 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Demiriz, A., Bennett, K., Embrechts, M.: Semi-supervised clustering using genetic algorithms. In: Artificial Neural Networks in Engineering (ANNIE 1999), pp. 809–814 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Duda, R., Hart, P.E., Stork, D.G.: Pattern Classification, 2nd edn. Wiley-Interscience (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Fayyad, U., Grinstein, G.G., Wierse, A.: Information Visualization in Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc., San Francisco (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Frank, A., Asuncion, A.: UCI machine learning repository (2010), http://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml
- 11.Kohonen, T.: Improved versions of learning vector quantization. In: 1990 IJCNN International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, vol. 1, pp. 545–550 (June 1990)Google Scholar
- 14.Manning, C.D., Raghavan, P., Schütze, H.: An Introduction to Information Retrieval. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2009), http://nlp.stanford.edu/IR-book/information-retrieval-book.html zbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 15.Zhu, X., Goldberg, A.B.: Introduction to Semi-Supervised Learning. Morgan & Claypool Publishers (2009)Google Scholar