Bagging Ensemble Selection
Ensemble selection has recently appeared as a popular ensemble learning method, not only because its implementation is fairly straightforward, but also due to its excellent predictive performance on practical problems. The method has been highlighted in winning solutions of many data mining competitions, such as the Netflix competition, the KDD Cup 2009 and 2010, the UCSD FICO contest 2010, and a number of data mining competitions on the Kaggle platform. In this paper we present a novel variant: bagging ensemble selection. Three variations of the proposed algorithm are compared to the original ensemble selection algorithm and other ensemble algorithms. Experiments with ten real world problems from diverse domains demonstrate the benefit of the bagging ensemble selection algorithm.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bauer, E., Kohavi, R.: An empirical comparison of voting classification algorithms: bagging, boosting, and variants. Machine Learning 1(38) (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Caruana, R., Munson, A., Niculescu-Mizil, A.: Getting the most out of ensemble selection. In: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Data Mining, ICDM 2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Caruana, R., Niculescu-Mizil, A., Crew, G., Ksikes, A.: Ensemble selection from libraries of models. In: Proceedings of the Twenty-First International Conference on Machine Learning, ICML 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Frank, A., Asuncion, A.: UCI machine learning repository (2010), http://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml
- 7.Hall, M., Frank, E., Holmes, G., Pfahringer, B., Reutemann, P., Witten, I.: The weka data mining software: An update. SIGKDD Explorations 11(1) (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Partalas, I., Tsoumakas, G., Vlahavas, I.: An ensemble uncertainty aware measure for direct hill climbing ensemble pruning. Machine Learning 81(3) (2010)Google Scholar