Moving Human Head Detection for Automatic Passenger Counting System
Moving human head detection is the basis of automatic passenger counting system and the speed and the detection accuracy of existing algorithms need to be improved. This paper puts forward a fast and effective algorithm for detecting moving human head. At first, the background is updated by block symmetric difference, then, the moving objects are extracted by culminating symmetric difference and background subtraction, finally, the human head contours are detected using the random Hough transform based on gradient. Experimental results show that this algorithm can detect moving human heads against illumination level changes and extraneous motion efficiently in automatic passenger counting system.
KeywordsHuman Head Gaussian Mixture Model Background Subtraction Moving Object Video Surveillance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yu, S.-S., Chen, X.-P., Sun, W.-P., Xie, D.-P.: A robust method for detecting and counting people. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Audio, Language and Image Processing (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Damien, L., Alaya, C.F., Yngve, H.J., Pierre, G., Romain, P.-C.: Real-time people counting system using a single video camera. The International Society for Optical Engineering (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Sun, D.-H., Zhao, M.: Automatic Passenger Counting Based on Multi_objects Recognition Using Dynamic Images. The International Society for Optical Engineering (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Humayun, S., Kamran, K., Ahmed, Q.W.: Using modified mixture of gaussians for background modeling in video surveillance. In: Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Advances in Space Technologies - Space in the Service of Mankind (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Tang, Z., Miao, Z., Wan, Y.: Background subtraction using running Gaussian average and frame difference. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics) (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Hou, Z.-Q., Zhang, Q.: Effective background reconstruction algorithm in image sequence analysis. Yi Qi Yi Biao Xue Bao/Chinese Journal of Scientific Instrument (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Deng, X., Bu, J., Yang, Z., Chen, C., Liu, Y.: A block-based background model for video surveillance. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhao, Y., Wang, Z.: Detecting moving objects by background difference and frame-difference. The International Society for Optical Engineering (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Lu, H., Zhang, J., Zhang, M.: Head Detecting and Tracking Based on Hough Transform. Journal of System Simulation (2008)Google Scholar