Finite Difference Time Domain Method Based on GPU for Solving Quickly Maxwell’s Equations
Based onGraphics Processing Units (GPUs) as main computational core, the Finite Difference Time Domain(FDTD) is presented for solving quickly Maxwell’s equations for electromagnetic. Firstly, the FDTD algorithm is developed by analyzing the direct time-domain solution like FDTD to Maxwell’s curl equations. Then, it is analyzed and compared with CPUs that how GPUs can be used to greatly speedup FDTD simulations, so enormous computation problem in FDTD simulations is resolved. At last, leveraging GPU processing power for FDTD update calculations, researchers can simulate much longer pulse lengths and larger models than was possible in the past, and computationally expensive simulations are completed in reasonable time. It is proved that FDTD simulations based on GPUs is accurate and high efficiency compared with CPUs.
KeywordsGraphic Processing Unit Finite Difference Time Domain Data Parallelism Finite Difference Time Domain Simulation Large Model Space
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Taflove, A., Hagness, S.C.: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method. In: Computational Electrodynamics, Artech House Publishers, Boston (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Harris, M.: GPU: General-Purpose Computation on Graphics Hardware. In: Introduction to CUDA, pp. 301–312. ACM, San Diego (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Pharr, M. (ed.): GPU Gems 2. Addison-Wesley, Upper Saddle River (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Durbano, J.P., Ortiz, F.E., Humphrey, J.R., Curt, P.F., Prather, D.W.: FPGA-Based Acceleration of the 3D Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method. In: FCCM, pp. 156–163 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Yee, K.: Numerical Solution of Initial Boundary Value Problems Involving Maxwell’s Equations in Isotropic Media. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation AP-14(3), 802–807 (1966)Google Scholar
- 7.Kunz, K.S., Luebbers, R.J.: The Finite Difference Time Domain Method for Electromagnetics. CRC Press, Boca Raton (1993)Google Scholar
- 8.Chen, P., Wu, C.: Numerical Simulation of Electromagnetic Waves Propagation in Stratified Stratum. Computer Engineering 36(15), 262–264 (2010) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 9.Göddeke, D.: GPGPU–Basic Math Tutorial (November 2005), http://www.mathematik.uni-dortmund.de/~goeddeke/