An Enhanced Differential Cache Attack on CLEFIA for Large Cache Lines
Reported results on cache trace attacks on CLEFIA do not work with increased cache line size. In this paper we present an enhanced cache trace attack on CLEFIA using the differential property of the s-boxes of the cipher and the diffusion properties of the linear transformations of the underlying Feistel structures. The attack requires 3 round keys, which are obtained by monitoring cache access patterns of 4 rounds of the cipher. A theoretical analysis is made on the complexity of the attack, while experimental results are presented to show the effectiveness of power and timing side-channels in deducing cache access patterns. The efficacy of the attack is theoretically justified by showing the effect of cache line size on the time and space complexity of the attack. Finally countermeasures that guarantee security against cache-attacks are compared for their efficiency on large cache lines.
KeywordsClock Cycle Block Cipher Cache Line Cryptology ePrint Archive Feistel Cipher
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Bernstein, D.J.: Cache-timing Attacks on AES. Tech. rep. (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Bertoni, G., Zaccaria, V., Breveglieri, L., Monchiero, M., Palermo, G.: AES Power Attack Based on Induced Cache Miss and Countermeasure. In: ITCC (1), pp. 586–591. IEEE Computer Society (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Brickell, E., Graunke, G., Neve, M., Seifert, J.P.: Software Mitigations to Hedge AES Against Cache-based Software Side Channel Vulnerabilities. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2006/052 (2006), http://eprint.iacr.org/
- 7.Canteaut, A., Lauradoux, C., Seznec, A.: Understanding Cache Attacks. Research Report RR-5881, INRIA (2006), http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00071387/en/
- 8.Crosby, S.A., Wallach, D.S., Riedi, R.H.: Opportunities and Limits of Remote Timing Attacks. ACM Trans. Inf. Syst. Secur. 12(3) (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Page, D.: Theoretical Use of Cache Memory as a Cryptanalytic Side-Channel (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Research Center for Information Security National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology: Side-channel Attack Standard Evaluation Board Specification, Version 1.0 (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Sony Corporation: The 128-bit Blockcipher CLEFIA: Algorithm Specification (2007)Google Scholar
- 18.Tsunoo, Y., Tsujihara, E., Minematsu, K., Miyauchi, H.: Cryptanalysis of Block Ciphers Implemented on Computers with Cache. In: International Symposium on Information Theory and Its Applications, pp. 803–806 (2002)Google Scholar
- 19.Zhao, X., Wang, T.: Improved Cache Trace Attack on AES and CLEFIA by Considering Cache Miss and S-box Misalignment. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2010/056 (2010), http://eprint.iacr.org/
- 20.Zheng, Y., Matsumoto, T., Imai, H.: On the Construction of Block Ciphers Provably Secure and Not Relying on Any Unproved Hypotheses. In: Brassard, G. (ed.) CRYPTO 1989. LNCS, vol. 435, pp. 461–480. Springer, Heidelberg (1990)Google Scholar