The year 2008 marked the 100th anniversary of the Finnish Academy of Sciences and Letters. As part of a centenary celebration, the disciplinary groups of the Academy of Sciences and Letters organized a series of mini-conferences focused on timely research topics (see http://www.acadsci.fi/100y.htm). The Group of Geosciences organized two events: the year was opened with a symposium titled From the Earth’s Core to Outer Space (January 9–11), and in the spring and summer an Exhibition of Geoscientific Expeditions (April 3–September 30) was open to general public at the University of Helsinki Museum Arppeanum. This book is based on a collection of articles originating from the presentations given at the symposium and on the Proceedings published in Finnish (Haapala and Pulkkinen 2009).
KeywordsIron Silicate Rapakivi Granite Karelian Craton Medieval Climate Anomaly Space Weather Effect
- Committee on Grand Research Questions in the Solid-Earth Sciences (2008) Origin and Evolution of Earth: Research Questions for a Changing Planet. The National Academies Press, Washington DC. http://books.nap.edu/12161
- Golding SD, Glikson M (eds) (2010) Earliest Life on Earth: Habitas, Environments and Methods of Detection, DOI 10.1007/978.90481-879-2, SpringerGoogle Scholar
- Haapala I, Pulkkinen T (eds) (2009) Maan ytimestä avaruuteen. Bidrag till kännedom av Finlands natur och folk 180:1–246Google Scholar
- Halliday AN (2008) A young Moon-forming giant impact at 70–110 million years accompanied by late-stage mixing, core formation and degassing of the Earth. Phil Trans R Soc A 366:4163–4181Google Scholar
- Valley JW (ed.) (2006) Early Earth. Elements 2 (4): 201–233Google Scholar