Fast Community Detection for Dynamic Complex Networks
- 1.2k Downloads
Dynamic complex networks are used to model the evolving relationships between entities in widely varying fields of research such as epidemiology, ecology, sociology, and economics. In the study of complex networks, a network is said to have community structure if it divides naturally into groups of vertices with dense connections within groups and sparser connections between groups. Detecting the evolution of communities within dynamically changing networks is crucial to understanding complex systems. In this paper, we develop a fast community detection algorithm for real-time dynamic network data. Our method takes advantage of community information from previous time steps and thereby improves efficiency while maintaining the quality of community detection. Our experiments on citation-based networks show that the execution time improves as much as 30% (average 13%) over static methods.
KeywordsCommunity Detection Previous Time Step Dynamic Algorithm Dynamic Complex Network Community Detection Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Boguna, M., Pastor-Satorras, R., Vespignani: Epidemic spreading in complex networks with degree correlations. In: Statistical Mechanics of Complex Networks. Lecture Notes in Physics, vol. 625, pp. 127–147 (2003)Google Scholar
- 18.Gaertler, M.: Clustering. Network Anal., 178–215 (2005)Google Scholar
- 21.Tantipathananandh, C., Berger-Wolf, T., Kempe, D.: A framework for community identification in dynamic social networks. In: Proceedings of the 13th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 717–726 (2007)Google Scholar
- 22.Ning, H., Xu, W., Chi, Y., Gong, Y., Huang, T.: Incremental spectral clustering with application to monitoring of evolving blog communities. In: SIAM Int. Conf. on Data Mining, pp. 261–272 (2007)Google Scholar
- 26.Bader, D.A., Amos-Binks, A., Chavarrsa-Miranda, D., Hastings, C., Madduri, K., Poulos, S.C.: STINGER: Spatio-Temporal Interaction Networks and Graphs (STING) Extensible Representation, Tech. rep., Georgia Institute of Technology (2009)Google Scholar
- 27.Saad, Y.: Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems. PWS Publishing Company (1995)Google Scholar
- 28.The DBLP Computer Science Bibliography, http://dblpVis.uni-trier.de