Uncovering Overlapping Community Structure
Overlapping community structure has attracted much interest in recent years since Palla et al. proposed the k-clique percolation algorithm for community detection and pointed out that the overlapping community structure is more reasonable to capture the topology of networks. Despite many efforts to detect overlapping communities, the overlapping community problem is still a great challenge in complex networks. Here we introduce an approach to identify overlapping community structure based on an efficient partition algorithm. In our method, communities are formed by adding peripheral nodes to cores. Therefore, communities are allowed to overlap. We show experimental studies on synthetic networks to demonstrate that our method has excellent performances in community detection.
KeywordsCommunity Detection Normalize Mutual Information Strong Cluster Synthetic Network College Football
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.White, S.: A spectral clustering approach to finding communities in graphs. In: SDM, pp. 43–55 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Blondel, V.D., Guillaume, J.L., Lambiotte, R., Lefebvre, E.: Fast unfolding of communities in large networks. Journal of Statistical Mechanics-Theory and Experiment (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Clauset, A., Newman, M.E.J., Moore, C.: Finding community structure in very large networks. Physical Review E 70(6) (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Derenyi, I., Palla, G., Vicsek, T.: Clique percolation in random networks. Physical Review Letters 94(16) (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Flake, G.W., Lawrence, S., Giles, C.L., Coetzee, F.M.: Self-organization and identification of web communities. Computer 35(3) (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Lancichinetti, A., Fortunato, S.: Benchmarks for testing community detection algorithms on directed and weighted graphs with overlapping communities. ArXiv e-prints (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Lancichinetti, A., Fortunato, S., Kertesz, J.: Detecting the overlapping and hierarchical community structure in complex networks. New Journal of Physics 11 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Lee, C., Reid, F., McDaid, A., Hurley, N.: Detecting highly overlapping community structure by greedy clique expansion. ArXiv e-prints (February 2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Newman, M.E.J., Girvan, M.: Finding and evaluating community structure in networks. Physical Review E 69(2) (2004)Google Scholar
- 21.Sales-Pardo, M., Guimera, R., Moreira, A.A., Amaral, L.A.N.: Extracting the hierarchical organization of complex systems. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104(47), 18874–18874 (2007)Google Scholar
- 23.Schuetz, P., Caflisch, A.: Efficient modularity optimization by multistep greedy algorithm and vertex mover refinement. Physical Review E 77(4) (2008)Google Scholar