Efficient Multi-resolution Plane Segmentation of 3D Point Clouds
We present an efficient multi-resolution approach to segment a 3D point cloud into planar components. In order to gain efficiency, we process large point clouds iteratively from coarse to fine 3D resolutions: At each resolution, we rapidly extract surface normals to describe surface elements (surfels). We group surfels that cannot be associated with planes from coarser resolutions into co-planar clusters with the Hough transform. We then extract connected components on these clusters and determine a best plane fit through RANSAC. Finally, we merge plane segments and refine the segmentation on the finest resolution. In experiments, we demonstrate the efficiency and quality of our method and compare it to other state-of-the-art approaches.
KeywordsPlane segmentation multi-resolution RANSAC Hough transform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fischler, M.A., Bolles, R.C.: Random sample consensus: a paradigm for model fitting with applications to image analysis and automated cartography. Commun. of the ACM (1981)Google Scholar
- 3.Gotardo, P., Bellon, O., Silva, L.: Range image segmentation by surface extraction using an improved robust estimator. In: Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CVPR (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Harati, A., Gächter, S., Siegwart, R.: Fast range image segmentation for indoor 3D-SLAM. In: 6th IFAC Symposium on Intelligent Autonomous Vehicles (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Hoover, A., Jean-Baptiste, G., Jiang, X., Flynn, P.J., Bunke, H., Goldgof, D.B., Bowyer, K., Eggert, D.W., Fitzgibbon, A., Fisher, R.B.: An experimental comparison of range image segmentation algorithms. IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 18(7), 673–689 (1996)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Hough, P.: Method and means for recognizing complex patterns. U.S. Patent 3.069.654 (1962)Google Scholar
- 8.Rabbani, T.: Automatic reconstruction of industrial installations using point clouds and images. Ph.D. thesis, TU Delft (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Rusu, R.B., Cousins, S.: 3D is here: Point cloud library (PCL). In: Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), Shanghai, China (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Vosselman, G., Gorte, B.G.H., Sithole, G., Rabbani, T.: Recognising structure in laser scanner point clouds. In: ISPRS - Laser-Scanners for Forest and Landscape Assessment (2004)Google Scholar