An Experimental Comparison of Model-Free Control Methods in a Nonlinear Manipulator
This paper presents an experimental comparison of various model-independent control strategies implemented on a system with unbalanced rotating mass. Proportional-Integral-Derivative (PID), Robust Tracking with Control Vector Constraints (RTCVC), and Active Disturbance Rejection Control (ADRC) are considered in this research. Although these control algorithms deal with parametric uncertainties, external disturbances, and nonlinear behavior of the system with different approaches, their common feature is that they do not need an explicit mathematical model of the physical process. Obtained results show that the ADRC achieved highest control performance in terms of position trajectory tracking of the manipulator link and energy efficiency. This work also confirms that the ADRC is a promising model-free control approach, which brings together what is best in both classic and modern control theories.
KeywordsTracking Error External Disturbance Trajectory Tracking Tunnel Width Robust Tracking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dutkiewicz, P., Michalski, M., Michalek, M.: Robust tracking with control vector constraints. In: RoMoCo - Workshop on Robot Motion and Control, pp. 169–174 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Galicki, M.: Robust tracking of manipulators subject to control constraints, Poznan. Studies in Automation and Information Technology, vol. 25, pp. 83–94 (2000) (in Polish)Google Scholar
- 3.Gao, Y., Er, M.: Robust adaptive fuzzy neural control of robot manipulator. In: International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, Washington, pp. 2188–2193 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Gao, Z., Huang, Y., Han, J.: An alternative paradigm for control system design. In: IEEE Conf. on Control and Decision, Orlando, pp. 4578–4585 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Han, J.: From PID to Active Disturbance Rejection Control. IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics 56(3) (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Qing, Z., Gao, Z.: On practical applications of Active Disturbance Rejection Control. In: IEEE Proc. of CCC, Beijing, pp. 6095–6100 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Qu, Z., Dawson, D.M.: Robust tracking control of robot manipulators. IEEE Press (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Toscano, R.: A simple robust PI/PID controller design via numerical optimization approach. Journal of Process Control 15 (2005)Google Scholar