Empirical Study on Quality Requirements of Migration Metadata
Migration requires metadata about old hardware/software configurations or old computer technologies. However, current metadata schemas used in preservation systems are different and it is difficult to judge the actual quality requirement of metadata migration. This paper presents a set of quality requirements for migration metadata and the necessity and sufficiency of these requirements are evaluated with a questionnaire that was distributed internationally and followed up by several telephone interviews. The survey results indicate that our requirements are complete and can be classified into three levels, namely essentiality, necessity, and conditionality. The proposed quality requirements can be used by custodians as a checklist to examine their metadata schemas in terms of how well they can support migration.
KeywordsInformation Management Migration Metadata Requirements Long-term Preservation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Waters, D., Garrett, J.: Preserving Digital Information. Report of the Task Force on Archiving of Digital Information (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Strodl, S., Becker, C., Neumayer, R., Rauber, A.: How to choose a digital preservation strategy: evaluating a preservation planning procedure. In: Proceedings of the 7th ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries. ACM, Vancouver (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Lavoie, B., Gartner, R.: Technology Watch Report - Preservation Metadata. DPC Technology Watch Series Report 05-01 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.The OCLC/RLG Working Group on Preservation Metadata: Preservation Metadata and the OAIS Information Model. A Metadata Framework to Support the Preservation of Digital Objects (2002) , http://www.oclc.org/research/pmwg/pm_framework.pdf
- 10.The Consultative committee for Space Data Systems: The Reference Model for an Open Archival Information System (OAIS) (2002), http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/650x0b1.PDF
- 11.The National Library of New Zealand: Metadata Standards Framework - Preservation Metadata (2003), http://www.natlib.govt.nz/catalogues/library-documents/preservation-metadata-revised
- 12.The National Archive of Norway: Noark 5 - Standard for Records Management (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Dale, R.L., Ambacher, B.: Trustworthy Repositories Audit & Certification: Criteria and Checklist, TRAC (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Dobratz, S., Schoger, A., Strathmann, S.: The nestor Catalogue of Criteria for Trusted Digital Repository Evaluation and Certification. Journal of Digital Information 8(2) (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Wheatley, P.: Migration–a CAMiLEON discussion paper. Ariadne 29(2) (2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Dillman, D.A.: Mail and Internet Surveys: The Tailored Design Method (2007)Google Scholar