CT-MR Image Registration in 3D K-Space Based on Fourier Moment Matching
CT-MRI registration is a common processing procedure for clinical diagnosis and therapy. We propose a novel K-space affine image registration algorithm via Fourier moment matching. The proposed algorithm is based on estimating the affine matrix from the moment relationship between the corresponding Fourier spectrums. This estimation strategy is very robust because the energy of the Fourier spectrum is mostly concentrated in the low-frequency band, thus the moments of the Fourier spectrum are robust against noises and outliers. Our experiments on the real CT and MRI datasets show that the proposed Fourier-based registration algorithm provides higher registration accuracy than the existing mutual information registration technique.
KeywordsMulti-modal image registration Fourier moments CT MRI
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.XiaoShen, W., LongGen, L., ChaoSu, H., JianJian, Q., ZhiYong, X., Yan, F.: A comparative study of three CT and MRI registration algorithms in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Journal of Applied Clinical Medical Physics 10(2) (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Jean-François, D., Mérence, S., Anne, B., Guy, C., Max, L., Vincent, G.: Evaluation of a multimodality image (CT, MRI and PET) coregistration procedure on phantom and head and neck cancer patients: accuracy, reproducibility and consistency. Radiotherapy & Oncology 69(3), 237–245 (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Reddy, B.S., Chatterji, B.N.: An FFT-based technique for translation, rotation, and scale-invariant image registration. IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis Mach. Intell. 5(8), 1266–1270 (1996)Google Scholar
- 16.Ho, J., Peter, A., Ranganrajan, A., Yang, M.-H.: An algebraic approach to affine registration of point sets. In: Proc. Int. Conf. on Computer Vision 2009 (2009)Google Scholar
- 17.Vanderbilt Database, http://www.insight-journal.org/rire/index.php
- 20.The Whole Brain Atlas, http://www.med.harvard.edu/AANLIB/home.html