A Lightweight Data Integration Architecture Based on Semantic Annotated RSS Feeds
Web 2.0 has changed the technological landscape of the Internet computing world today by supporting efficient methods for information sharing and social collaboration. Web 2.0 is much more than adding a nice facade to old web applications rather it is a new way of thinking about software architecture of RIAs which opens new possibilities for finding more effective answers to old problems such as data integration. In this paper a methodology for integration of distributed information based on semantically-enabled RSS (Really Simple Syndication) feeds will be presented. The proposed method can be used in multiple use-cases where service providers/end-users need ad-hoc exchange of their service information/requirements in order to find an optimized solution. As proof of concept an emergency management use-case cases is presented which shows how semantic web concepts can be embedded in RSS feeds to address the specific requirements of accident and emergency scenarios.
KeywordsSemantic Web Web 2.0 GeoRSS Data Integration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anjomshoaa, A., Bader, G., Tjoa, A.M.: Exploiting Mashup Architecture in Business Use Cases. In: The 12th International Conference on Network-Based Information Systems (NBIS 2009), Indianapolis, USA (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.GeoRSS, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georss (last visited July 2011)
- 3.Tim O’Reilly, Levels of the Game: The Hierarchy of Web 2.0 Applications (July 2006), http://radar.oreilly.com/2006/07/levels-of-the-game-the-hierarc.html
- 4.Really Simple Syndication, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS (last visited July 2011)
- 5.Representational State Transfer, Roy Thomas Fielding, Architectural Styles and the Design of Network-based Software Architectures, Ph.D. Thesis, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, California (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.IBM Mashup Center, http://www-01.ibm.com/software/info/mashup-center ( last visited November 2009, last visited August 2011)
- 7.Content Creation and Distribution in an Expanding Internet Universe, White paper (May 2008), http://www.internetcontentsyndication.org/downloads/whitepapers/content_creation.pdf (last visited August 2011)
- 8.Udell, J.: RSS for Integration. InfoWorld (13), 40 (March 2005), http://www.infoworld.com/d/developer-world/using-rss-data-integration-283 (last visited August 2011)
- 9.OpenSearch, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSearch (last visited August 2011)
- 10.Tanasescu, V., Gugliotta, A., Domingue, J., Davies, R., Gutiérrez-Villarías, L., Rowlatt, M., Richardson, M., Stinčić, S.: A Semantic Web Services GIS Based Emergency Management Application. In: Cruz, I., Decker, S., Allemang, D., Preist, C., Schwabe, D., Mika, P., Uschold, M., Aroyo, L.M. (eds.) ISWC 2006. LNCS, vol. 4273, pp. 959–966. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Use Case Provenance of Decision Making Emergency Response, http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/prov/wiki/Use_Case_Provenance_of_Decision_Making_Emergency_Response (last visited August 2011)