An Investigation of Emergent Collaboration under Uncertainty and Minimal Information in Energy Domains
We study the phenomenon of evolution of cooperation in the electricity domain, where self-interested agents representing distributed energy resources (DERs) strategize for maximizing payoff. From the system’s viewpoint cooperation represents a solution capable to cope with the increasing complexity, generated by the introduction of DERs to the grid. The problem domain is modelled from a multi-agent system high-level perspective. We report on experiments with this model, giving the underlying understanding for the emergent behavior, in order to determine if and under what conditions such a collaborative behavior would hold. Finally we suggest how insights from this model can inspire mechanisms to instill cooperation as the dominant strategy.
KeywordsMultiagent System Smart Grid Autonomous Agent Dominant Strategy Energy Domain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chalkiadakis, G., Robu, V., Kota, R., Rogers, A., Jennings, N.: Cooperatives of distributed energy resources for efficient virtual power plants. In: Proc. of the Tenth International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2011), pp. 787–794 (May 2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Department of Energy and Climate Change: Smarter grids: The opportunity (2009), http://www.decc.gov.uk/assets/decc/smartergridsopportunity.pdf
- 6.Hammerstrom, J., Brous, J., Chassin, D.P., Horst, G.R., Kajfasz, R., Michie, P., Oliver, T.V., Carlon, T.A., Eustis, C., Jarvegren, O.M., Marek, W., Munson, R.L., Pratt, R.G.: Pacific northwest gridwise testbed demonstration projects part ii grid friendly appliance project. Tech. rep., Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA, tech. Rep. PNNL-17079 (October 2007), http://gridwise.pnnl.gov/docs/op_project_final_report_pnnl17167.pdf
- 7.Hofmann, L.M., Chakraborty, N., Sycara, K.: The evolution of cooperation in self-interested agent societies: A critical study. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, AAMAS 2011, pp. 685–692. International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Kamboj, S., Kempton, W., Decker, K.S.: Deploying power grid-integrated electric vehicles as a multi-agent system. In: Proceedings of the Tenth International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS 2011), pp. 13–20 (May 2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Mcarthur, S.D.J., Davidson, E.M., Catterson, V.M., Dimeas, A.L., Hatziargyriou, N.D., Ponci, F., Funabashi, T.: Multi-Agent Systems for Power Engineering Applications Part I: Concepts, Approaches and Technical Challenges. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 22(4), 1743–1752 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Mihailescu, R.C., Vasirani, M., Ossowski, S.: Dynamic coalition formation and adaptation for virtual power stations in smart grids. In: Proc. of the 2nd Int. Workshop on Agent Technologies for Energy Systems, pp. 85–88 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Mihailescu, R.-C., Vasirani, M., Ossowski, S.: An organizational approach to agent-based virtual power stations via coalitional games. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Practical Applications of Agents and Multi-Agent Systems, Salamanca, Spain, pp. 125–134 (April 2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Pielke, M., Troschel, M., Kurrat, M., Appelrath, H.J.: Operation strategies to integrate chp micro units in domestic appliances into the public power supply. In: Proceedings of the VDE- Kongress (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Trudnowski, D., Donnelly, M., Lightner, E.: Power-system frequency and stability control using decentralized intelligent loads. In: 2005/2006 PES TD Conference and Exposition, pp. 1453–1459 (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Vytelingum, P., Voice, T.D., Ramchurn, S.D., Rogers, A., Jennings, N.R.: Agent-based micro-storage management for the smart grid. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, AAMAS 2010, pp. 39–46. International Foundation for Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (2010)Google Scholar