The Machine Learning and Traveling Repairman Problem
The goal of the Machine Learning and Traveling Repairman Problem (ML&TRP) is to determine a route for a “repair crew,” which repairs nodes on a graph. The repair crew aims to minimize the cost of failures at the nodes, but the failure probabilities are not known and must be estimated. If there is uncertainty in the failure probability estimates, we take this uncertainty into account in an unusual way; from the set of acceptable models, we choose the model that has the lowest cost of applying it to the subsequent routing task. In a sense, this procedure agrees with a managerial goal, which is to show that the data can support choosing a low-cost solution.
Keywordsmachine learning traveling repairman integer programming uncertainty generalization bound constrained linear function classes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chapelle, O., Schölkopf, B., Zien, A. (eds.): Semi-Supervised Learning. MIT Press, Cambridge (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Agarwal, S.: Ranking on graph data. In: Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Machine Learning (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou, D., Weston, J., Gretton, A., Bousquet, O., Schölkopf, B.: Ranking on data manifolds. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, vol. 16, pp. 169–176. MIT Press, Cambridge (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.van Eijl, C.A.: A polyhedral approach to the delivery man problem. Memorandum COSOR 95–19, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Lechmann, M.: The traveling repairman problem - an overview, pp. 1–79, Diplomarbeit, Universitat Wein (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Urbina, I.: Mandatory safety rules are proposed for electric utilities. New York Times. Late Edition, Sec B, Col 3, Metropolitan Desk, p. 2 (08-21-2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Tulabandhula, T., Rudin, C., Jaillet, P.: Machine Learning and the Traveling Repairman. arXiv:1104.5061 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Blum, A., Chalasani, P., Coppersmith, D., Pulleyblank, B., Raghavan, P., Sudan, M.: On the minimum latency problem. In: Proceedings of the 26th ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 163–171 (September 1994)Google Scholar